Monday, August 23, 2021

Fearless Felines

Fearless Felines

Juvenile nonfiction
"Cats are adventurers and born survivors. Many have led
incredible, inspiring, and interesting lives, yet have been forgotten
or overlooked by history. Not fair, right?
This book will set the record straight with tales of more than
thirty real-life kitties that are the heroes of their own stories."
When I saw Kimberlie Hamilton's Fearless Felines: 30 True Tales
Of Courageous Cats in the Orono Public Library's children's wing you'd
better believe I did my happy dance! Now I've got nothing against
dogs. But they get more than their share of publicity. About time
there's a tribute to the fabulousness and ferocity of felis
domesticus!!!
The cat heroes (and sheroes) are amazing. Readers will get to
meet fantastic felines such as:
*Towser, the World Mousing Champion who is said to have slain 28,899
rodents;
*Stubbs, who was mayor of a town in Alaska;
*Felicette, the first cat in outer space;
*and, of course, the famous library cat, Dewey.
The pictures, done by a group of artists, are fittingly fabulous.
But the book goes well beyond the biographies. Interspersed
among them are a variety of themed fact collections. You can learn
about spooky cats, cat superstitions, ways to tell if your cat loves
you (Tobago sure does!), mystical cats, cats' healing powers... One
of the most important lists is ten ways kids and adults can help cats
in need.
I was really excited to learn that although the cat doesn't
appear in the Chinese zodiac it does in the Vietnamese version. And I
was born in the year of the cat.
I do have a courageous cat story too. It happened way back a
little after I got out of high school. I knew a guy who was thinking
he'd be better off dead. I managed to talk him out of that line of
thought. Only then he became attracted to me in a way that was not
mutual. One day he was trying to get his way (He was a lot bigger
than me) when my grey kitten jumped on him hissing, spitting, and
clawing, drawing blood, scaring him away.
Anyway if you're a feline fancier like me you'll find Fearless
Felines to be a must read.
On a purrrsonal note, I hope you had a great weekend. I sure did!
Eugene went up to camp with his best friend while Tobago (fearless
feline in residence) and I chilled at home. Saturday I volunteered at
community garden. We harvested and gave away a wealth of veggies. I
was able to take home lettuce, beet greens, cucumbers, green peppers,
and (Finally!) tomatoes. In fact since I didn't have to cook for
Eugene I cooked up bacon and had BLTs for three meals. What a treat!
Sunday was my church's blessing of the animals which included a poem I
wrote.
Right now I'm focussed on getting the backpacks filled with school
supplies for kids in the trailer park. I have 5 packs filled with
very special supplies Amber contributed. I have the stash I've been
building at home organized by category. Later this afternoon Steffi
will bring the supplies the church has collected to my house.
Tomorrow my chum, Emily, will chauffeur me for a shopping trip to buy
what we still need with money people have donated. If all goes well
delivery will be Wednesday. Pretty exciting, huh? I'll keep you in
the loop every step of the way. (Jules).
I iz blessed! YASSS!!! (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to Abby who contributed so many of the
backpacks, Amber, Steffi, Emily, and all the others who are making
this project truly something special.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment