Thursday, August 26, 2021

What You Did

What You Did

Adult mystery
"...She had bare feet, and there was grass in her hair and
pressed into her face, leaving small indentations in her skin. Her
eyes were open and a smear of blood was red across her cheek. And
then, of course she said what she said, and nothing was ever the same
again. 'He raped me. He raped me.'"
A quarter of a century after graduating from the university
where they were best friends Ali, Mike, Jodi, Callum, Bill, and Karen,
the cast of Claire McGowan's What You Did, are getting together at Ali
and Mike's house for a reunion. Usually on such an occassion people
don't commit worse indiscretions than drinking too much. But the
first night of the reunion Karen staggers into the kitchen claiming
that Mike has assaulted her. She presses charges. Mike pleads not
guilty.
Ali has a terrible choice to make. Should she believe her
husband or her best friend?
Mike has been carrying on a consensual long term affair with
Karen. He may very well be the father of her teenage son Jake. But
he's in no position to defend himself. He's in the hospital in a
coma, possibly in need of a liver transplant. Jake assaulted him
after hearing his mother's story.
But the alleged crime and the act of vengeance are only the tip
of the iceberg. During the group's college years a classmate was
murdered. Perhaps her killer and Karen's rapist are one and the same.
Can you solve the mysteries before the end of the book?
On a purrrsonal note, last night was amazing. My friend Savannah and
I started distributing the backpacks. We were able to give out a
lot. People were so happy and excited! It made my heart sing! I'm
really proud that something I started last year has evolved into a
program and a tradition.
There were some families who weren't at home. We'll revisit them.
And a couple of kids had their supplies. Next year we'll make the
deliveries a couple of weeks sooner. Today I'll be helping with
orientation for new UMaine grad students by helping lead a campus
tour. That's a first for me. And tomorrow is my first day back on
the job after nearly 18 months. Wish me luck. Even though the
logical part of my brain is reminding me I did just fine before and
haven't forgotten everything the part of my brain that ignores logic
brain is nervous. (Jules)
She will do fine. If I live to be 20 I will never completely
understand hoomans. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to Savannah with best wishes for a
great year at Veazie Community School.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment