Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Lies You Never Told Me

Lies You Never Told Me

YA/adult mystery/thriller
Some relationships are warped, misbegotten, morphing from
sources of pleasure to paths to peril and terror, impossible both to
navigate and get out of. The characters in Jennifer Donaldson's Lies
You Never Told Me are caught in such relationships. Readers are
quickly pulled into the spine chilling narrative she constructs.
"Tomorrow I'll go through Mom's room, try to find her stash.
Flush it. Not that it will matter; she's got half a dozen doctors
ready and willing to prescribe her more. Mom's a mess, but she's a
cunning mess, good at manipulating what she needs out of people..."
Elyse has had to grow up much too fast, suffering through the
ups and downs of her mother's drug addiction. In fact she plays the
parenting role. So when a cute male drama teacher gives her an
unexpected lead in a school play and treats her as someone special..."
"'You're such an asshole sometimes.' 'Whatever. Have a good
time in the backwoods. I hope you get murdered by hillbillies.' She
stalks away, her profile icy with disdain."
Sasha is mean girl popular. People do what she says out of fear
of getting on her bad side rather than any kind of loyalty. She
suspects that boyfriend Gabe is slipping away from her and will do
literally anything to keep that from happening.
"It suddenly feels crazy to me, like Savannah's sticking her
hand in an alligator's mouth. And then, with disgust, I realize I'm
no different. We all act like we're honored to let her treat us like
shit."
Gabe is desperate to get out of Sasha's grasp but terrified of
what she'll do to those he cares about including his little sister and
a new girl in school he's come to care about and want to help, a girl
who's terrified of just about everything...
...maybe with good reason.
Warning: once you pick up this dark drama and get into the plot,
if you're a thriller affecianado, you won't be able to put it down.
On a purrrsonal note, I've had two wonderful things happen so far this
week. Last night I got a package in the mail from Kathryn Olmstead--
an autographed copy of her book (which, yes, I plan to review on this
blog). Kathy and I go way back. She taught my journalistic ethics
class back when I was pregnant with Dr. Amber Hathaway. I was so
excited to get that book and know that our friendship matters to her
as it does to me. Today my dining manager, Anna, came over to visit
me and Tobago. She was the one who brought Tobago and me together.
She has a passion for homing animals. I appreciated her stopping by
on her vaca. We had a lovely visit. Tobago was swanning around being
super affectionate. It made Anna very happy to see her so secure and
happy. (Jules)
I got to see Anna today. I was very happy to see her. She was the
one who busted me out of the joint and set me up with my home and
family. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to Kathy and Anna.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment