Friday, May 28, 2021

Clap When You Land

Clap When You Land

YA fiction in poetry
"I know that when a street doesn't have sidewalks and water
rises to flood the tile floors of your home, learning mud is learning
the language of survival."
Camino Rios lives with her aunt, a traditional healer to whom
she is an informal apprentice, in a very poor neighborhood in the
Dominican Republic. Her mother had died of dengue fever when she was
very young. Her neighborhood holds dangers for teenage girls. She is
able to attend a prestigious school because her father, who lives in
the United States except for summer visits, pays her tuition and
fees. She aspires to attend Columbia University and become a doctor.
Yahaira Rios lives in New York with her parents. She'd been a
competitive chess player, coached by her father and known for her bold
moves, before she quit. Her team and school had loved her.
"I got us into the newspaper and on late night tv
For something other than drugs or poor test scores or gentrification."
Now she considers herself a low profile, predictable rule follower.
The two half sisters first learn of each others' existence under
the worst possible conditions. The plane their father is on plunges
into the ocean. Very little hope for survivors is held out.
In this very poignant and powerful coming of age narrative, told
through poetry in alternating voices, they must deal with the flaws
and secrets of a beloved parent while grieving for his loss.
On a purrrsonal note, are you psyched for a three day weekend? I am
even though I don't have a clue what I'll be doing. Eugene is the one
who can drive and he lets me know the last minute. I've preemptively
packed in case it's camp. But whatever I do I will have good times.
I hope you will too. This week I took another step toward post
pandemic normalish life. I returned to Orono Community Garden. I
weeded 2 1/2 hours and enjoyed talking to old and new friends. After
missing last summer it felt like the garden of Eden minus the serpent.
(Jules)
She came back smelling of fresh air and sunshine and dawg. She said
hi to a dawg. I guess even lower species need attention. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to the community garden crew and to out
readers in hopes that we all have a safe and happy weekend.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment