Friday, May 7, 2021

Does My Head Look Big In This?

Does My Head Look Big In This?

YA fiction
"I'm terrified. But at the same time I feel like my passion and
conviction in Islam are bursting inside me and I want to prove to
myself that I'm strong enough to wear a badge of my faith..."
For Amal, narrator of Randa Abdel-Fattah's Does My Head Look Big
In This, choosing to wear the hijab full time is a lot bigger than
just making a fashion statement. She knows she'll encounter prejudice
from some of her high school peers. She's aware that such a visible
symbol of Islam may keep her from getting some jobs. But her religion
is important to her.
Her parents initially view her decision with trepidation.
"'What's the big deal? It's a piece of material?'
My mother snorts. 'Since when do people see it as a mere piece
of material? You and I both know that's being a tad optimistic, ya
Amal!'"
A tad optimistic is quite the understatement. The story is set
only a few years after 9/11. Many people had come to equate Islam
with terrorism and hatred of of our way of life. So making such a
visible faith statement while also dealing with more typical teen
issues (academics, mean girls, a potential boyfriend) would be quite
the challenge.
Throughout the book Amal engages with the challenges--sometimes
with grace, sometimes with anything but, but always in a way that will
engage the reader.
On a purrrsonal note, it's been a pretty quiet week. I was
disappointed when I didn't make my numbers and get to donate blood.
But Red Cross gave me a tee shirt for trying--the huge size that's
perfect for sleeping in on hot nights. The big relief was Eugene
coming home safe yesterday. He was up to camp on vaca, catching
himself some fish. I was glad he could have some good times. But
camp is up in the boonies with crappy cell reception. So I'm glad
when he gets back and I can see he's alive and well. Sunday is
Mothers Day and I'm hoping we'll go for a ride. It would be fun.
(Jules)
My hooman is home safe. He didn't get chomped by preditors! YASSS!!
(Tobago)
A great big shout out for those of my readers who are moms and a
reminder to those who have living moms to remember them. Also to this
year's UMaine graduating class. Go Black Bears.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment