Friday, April 16, 2021

Look Again

Look Again

Adult Mystery
"Ellen couldn't stop looking at the white card, which read HAVE
YOU SEEN THIS CHILD? The resemblance between the boy in the photo and
her son was uncanny. They had the same wide-set eyes, smallish nose,
and lopsided grin...the boys could have been twins."
I think most of us would consign a missing child flyer to the
trash can or recycling bin after maybe a cursory glance and a feeling
of sympathy for the missing child and bereft family. This was the
first impulse of Ellen, protagonist of Lisa Scottoline's Look Again.
However, as a reporter, she let curiosity get the better or her and
discovered even more similarities between missing child Timothy and
her own Will.
Ellen had met baby Will at a hospital where she had been
researching a human interest story. He had been between heart
surgeries.
"...He lay at the end of the sunny unit, a tiny boy in a diaper,
in an institutional crib with high white bars. He was undersized,
failing to thrive...his was the only crib with no plush toys or
colorful mobiles attached to the bars."
In the two years following his adoption Will had grown strong
and healthy and bonded tightly with his new mother. But what if the
adoption procedures had not been completely kosher? What if Will
rightfully belonged to someone else? Would Ellen be able to let him go?
And what if her investigations are catching the eye of a truly
bad character with a strong vested interest in the truth not coming to
light, someone who has killed and has no qualms about killing again?
Look again is a cliff hanger of the highest caliber and so much
more. For those of us who are parents: what if you learned that your
beloved child belonged to someone else and you were the only one who
knew?
I would have thrown the flyer away. What about you?
On a purrrsonal note, it's been a really good week. The weather has
been sunny and gorgeous. I've been getting in a bunch of outdoor
reading. Yesterday I saw my first bee of the season. (BTW Speak up
for pollinators whenever you can. They're a crucial part of our
ecosystem.) My first daffodil bud is starting to blossom. Today is
grey. We're expecting a little bad weather. Oh, well. We need some
precip. I am SO EXCITED that I got 100% on my most recent statistics
assignment. My average is 94.93. If I do well enough on my last
assignment I'll get a solid A. I am going to seriously miss the
class. Spring cleaning is coming along fine. Emily keeps bringing me
the most awesome library books. I'm for sure living my best life.
(Jules)
I'm living my best cat life. Food, a home with a loft and windows,
toys, and hoomans who totally adore me. YASSS!!! (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to UMaine's 2021 valedictorian, Bailey
West who is also a community contributor and genuinely nice human
being. We predict that she will continue to be a light in the world.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment