Friday, April 23, 2021

Devil's Corner

Devil's Corner

Adult mystery/thriller
"Vicki Allegretti always wondered what it would feel like to
look into the barrel of a loaded gun, and now she knew. The gun was a
black Glock, nine millimeter, and it was aimed at her right eye..."
Talk about first sentences that say: let's get this party
started! Now! With Devil's Corner Lisa Scottoline had me hooked
right there. A true mystery affecianado would be hard pressed to
resist an opener like that and its promise of action and suspense.
Vicki Allegretti is on what should be a routine bit of business
for a prosecutor--meeting up with a confidential informant on a really
minor case. Only two guys with guns show up unexpectedly. Vicki's
ATF agent partner on the case, Morty, and the informant and her unborn
baby are shot to death.
Vicki is determined to avenge Morty's death by putting everyone
responsible behind bars. She's champing at the bit to be out on the
streets doing detective work. Her boss is strongly opposed. However,
a Scottoline protagonist never lets that stand in her way. (This is
probably why I identify so strongly with them.) Before you know it,
she's running around a part of Philadelphia known as Devil's Corner
with a very unlikely ally, getting closer and closer to exposing some
really dangerous characters, and hiding her adventures from both her
boss and her very protective parents.
In addition to suspense there's forbidden romance. Vicki and
colleague Dan have the kind of closeness that happens in professions
where people are together a lot, often in intense circumstances. They
consider themselves best friends. She'd like to be a lot more. But,
oh, snap, there's this wife of his. She's getting suspicious.
One of the many things I love about Scottoline's novels is that
humans aren't the only well fleshed out characters. My favorites in
Devil's Corner are Ruby and Zoey...
...and the only way you'll learn their identities is by reading
the book.
On a purrrsonal note, Tobago and I have had a good work week. With
the exception of yesterday's snow the weather has been grand. I've
had plenty of chances for outside reading. The first of my daffodils
are in full glorious bloom.
My big news is that I've tentatively (tentatively as I'm still just in
the masters program and have no guarantee of moving up to doctoral
studies) chosen the general theme I want to do a dissertation on:
campus food insecurity. I've started reading the literature so I can
narrow down my topic and nail a proposal and making more contacts in
the field.) (Jules)
My hooman dad bought me a new prey toy--a chameleon. It's not even my
birthday. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to the prez of interfaith group,
Dominique Dispirito. She was named a 2021 Truman Scholar and made the
front page above the fold of the Penobscot Times. Woo hoo! Way to go!
Tobago and Jules Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment