Friday, April 30, 2021

Final Girls

Final Girls

Adult mystery
Recall we looked at Riley Sager's Home Before Dark? I got my
hands on an earlier work of his: Final Girls. I'm pleased to report
that it's equally spine chilling.
(But you don't have to just take my word for that. The
Horrormeister, himself, Mr. Stephen King considers the book to be a
great thriller.)
As the narrative begins there are three final girls, each the
sole survivor of a violent massacre. Lisa had escaped from a sorority
house, Sam from the inn she was working at, and narrator Quincy from
the rustic cabin where she and five college chums had been spending a
weekend.
Despite the best attempts of police and reporters, Quincy
remembers very little of her night of horror. She's tired of being
known for that one incident, of seeing pity in the eyes of total
strangers, and of constantly being the prey of journalists, bloggers,
and photographers. She's trying to move on by becoming engaged and
creating a popular baking blog.
All Quincy's best efforts are about to be thwarted.
Lisa is discovered dead in her bathtub. Although her death is
initially written off as a suicide, evidence of murder is soon
discovered. No suspects turn up.
The other final girls may be in danger. Quincy had received an
ominous letter.
"YOU SHOULDN'T BE ALIVE.
YOU SHOULD HAVE DIED IN THAT CABIN.
IT WAS YOUR DESTINY TO BE SACRIFICED."
Sam has surfaced after years off the grid and moved in with
Quincy and her fiancée. Her influence seems to be anything but
benign. She has Quincy feeling some raw, powerful emotions and doing
some pretty dangerous things.
Will the killer be busted before Quincy is dead or behind bars?
Read the book and see.
On a purrrsonal note, it's been a good week. Mostly purrrfect
weather. Today is rain, but the plants need it. (Speaking of plants,
I'll be able to volunteer at community garden this summer. I missed
it so much last summer. My world is opening up again). My daffodils
are gorgeous. The trees are leading out nicely. I put out the rest
of my windchimes. I had a really excellent meeting with my advisor.
Today is Eugene's last work day before he has a week's vacation. He
plans to get in some brook fishing. (Jules)
Fishing? Mmmm! A very worthy pursuit! (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to Eugene who works so hard to provide
for his family and Leah who is the best advisor anyone could possibly
have.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment