Monday, March 8, 2021

Sometimes I Lie

Sometimes I Lie

Adult Mystery
"My name is Amber Reynolds. There are three things you should know
about me.
1. I'm in a coma.
2. My husband doesn't love me anymore.
3. Sometimes I lie.
Amber, narrator of Alice Feeney's Sometimes I Lie, is indeed in
a coma. A ventilator is breathing for her. She gets nutrients
through a tube. She can't communicate or move a muscle. But she's
aware of what's going on. She feels people reposition her and clean
her. She can hear family members and medical people converse. Her
thoughts constitute one strand of a really suspenseful mystery.
The second strand consists of Amber's recollections of the week
before her accident--not a very good one. There's lots of drama at
work. Husband Paul is becoming increasingly distant, maybe thinking
of leaving her. An ex boyfriend is becoming an ominous presence. Then
there's her manipulative, unpredictable sister, Claire.
The third strand is entries from a preteen girl's diary. The
child writer is the victim of a very deprived, disorganized
household. Her parents can't take care of themselves, never mind a
daughter. She covets her only friend's seemingly perfect life and
family.
How do the journal entries fit in with the rest of the
narrative? Was the car accident really an accident? Will Amber
regain control of her body and leave the hospital before it's too late?
Read the book and find out...
...if you dare!
On a purrrsonal note, it was a fairly quiet weekend for my household.
Eugene got his first vaccine Saturday. Sunday I cut church to go with
Eugene to check on his camp. We've been having really strong winds
lately. Thousands of homes have lost power. He wanted to make sure
trees hadn't been blown on the camp. Fortunately none had. We got
Burger King lunch on our way home--drive through of course. That was
a treat, as was seeing the world beyond the trailer park. We were
listening to music on the truck's radio. Then this guy came on saying
he was going to explain some of the mysteries of cats' behavior.
Eugene not only didn't change the channel, but turned up the volume.
Baby Girl sure is charming him. (Jules).
Well of course I am. I am simply irresistable. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to all who aren't throwing caution to
the winds, especially in states where governors are lifting
restrictions way too soon.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment