Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Count Me In

Count Me In

Juvenile fiction
Karina and Chris live next door to each other. But in middle
school they are seemingly worlds apart. Chris is part of a group of
athletes. One of them says something mean about a classmate, Karina.
This all changes very quickly. Chris is getting nagged by his
parents to bring his grades up. When Papa, Karina's retired engineer
immigrant grandfather, moves in with her family after the death of his
wife he volunteers to tutor math. His hands on approach helps Chris
grasp the concepts that had eluded him. The kids and their families
become friends.
One day, walking with Karina and Chris, Papa is attacked by a
man who tells him that "terrorists don't belong here." The only reason
he doesn't get to inflict more harm is that a neighbor taking out her
garbage intervenes.
Karina and Chris are feeling adrift in a suddenly more
frightening world. But they are not alone as you'll see in the book's
heartwarming but realistic ending.
On a purrrsonal note, I'm so excited for tomorrow. I'm going for my
second vaccine and then ice cream. Two weeks after that I'll be able
to be with small numbers of the already vaccinated or people not at
high risk. This fall hopefully I'll be on campus at least enough to
do my internship.
I was going to bake peanut butter cookies to share with chauffeur Ed
and Connie. But I had left over tropical ingredients from fruitcake
making which I used to spice up oatmeal cookies. This is my own
recipe. I think the cookies are so good. But I do need to have at
least a few dozen subjects evaluate them on a 5 point cookie yumminess
scale to see if I'm onto something. (Jules)
I will be so relieved when all my hoomans are safely vaccinated.
(Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to all behind the vaccine creation and
roll out.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment