Friday, March 12, 2021

In The Country We Love

In The Country We Love

Adult memoir
"One moment--that's all it takes for your entire world to split
apart. For me, that moment came when I was fourteen. I returned home
from school to discover that my hardworking immigrant parents had been
taken away. In an irreversible instant--in the space of a single
breath--life as I'd known it was forever altered..."
Many adoring fans watch Diane Guerrero in Orange Is The New
Black and Jane The Virgin. As a child, this highly talented actress
was in a very precarious place. She was the legal resident (by virtue
of being born in the USA) daughter of undocumented parents. From a
very early age she lived with the constant fear that a single slip up
could result in her parents being deported. Things most of us would
find innocuous, say a police car cruising the neighborhood, were
sources of dread.
When Diane was only fourteen her worst nightmare came true. She
came home to find that her beloved parents had been arrested and were
in jail awaiting deportation hearings. Fortunately a close friend's
family was willing to take her in. There was no investigation by
Children's Protective Services. The same government that had stolen
her parents, her only caretakers, showed no concern for a legal
resident minor child.
During those teen years that can be a tumultuous challenge for
even protected kids Diane had to basically parent herself. This took
a serious toll on her now long distance relationships with her parents
and her mental and psychological health and self esteem--a toll that
extended well into her adult years. The fall out from that tragic day
almost cost her her life. In the book she candidly shares her journey
through loss and despair to healing and professional success.
For much of her life Diane had been silent about her family's
ordeal, ashamed of what they had been through. Sharing their
narrative was difficult for her. She wrote it as a gift for other
children in her situation.
"These days we're surrounded by a lot of talk about immigration
reform. Border security. A path to citizenship for the millions of
undocumented workers who live among us. Behind every one of the
headlines, there is a family. A mother and father. An innocent
child. A real-life story that's both deeply painful and rarely told.
At last, I've found the courage to tell you mine."
I urge you to read this poignant and powerful narrative and use
what you learn to initiate some very necessary conversations.
On a purrrsonal note, well we just passed the first official
anniversary of the pandemic. Did you imagine then how long it would
go on? I sure didn't. Were you changed as a person? I was greatly, I
believe for the better. One of the things I'm most proud of is
continuing to bring you content through this blog with the help of my
partner, Emily, who keeps me supplied with great books. (Jules)
A whole year? Whatever that is. I haven't changed. Still my same
smart, gorgeous, irresistable self. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to my blog partner, Emily, with
gratitude for her deliveries of so many books and other wonderful
things. I am so looking forward to going to Sweet Frog to get froyo
with Emily and her kids when it's safe to do so.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment