Monday, November 9, 2020

The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl

The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl

"I don't remember the moment that changed my life 4 years ago.
Call it a side effect of being struck by lightning. That bolt of
electricity burned a small hole in my memory. It also rewired my
brain, transforming me into Lucy Fanny Callahan, math genius."
Lucy, protagonist of Stacy McAnulty's The Miscalculations of
Lightning Girl, can do daunting math problems instantly in her head.
Her grandmother, with whom she lives, considers that a miracle.
Doctors see it as acquired savant syndrome, a form of brain damage.
Through computer home schooling Lucy has enough credits to start
college, virtually, of course. However, she's only twelve. And her
grandmother is realizing how socially isolated she is and insisting
that she spend one year physically attending the local middle school.
Her uncle agrees that she "needs to be around other kids."
Entering middle school can be a challenging transition for
anyone. How can a math genius with very weak social skills and easy-
to-bully-about OCD rituals survive?
Read the book and see.
On a purrrsonal note, our heat wave continues. Edging toward the
70s. Beach weather. I've started walking the walking trails that
start off of Mutton Lane. I really like them. It's very pretty out
there. Sometimes I see a varmint like a snake or a chipmunk. When I
go there I walk about an hour instead of a half hour. The trails
would be perfect for cross country so before next winter I'm going to
buy skis. I was home Sunday but walked instead of going to church.
Of course afternoons I'm outside in tee shirt and shorts barefoot.
Craig has finally posted assignment 6 in statistics class so I'm
having fun working on it.
Eugene is on vaca. He left this morning and will be probably be gone
2 nights. (Jules).
All the nice warm sunshine to soak up. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to our Eugene along with hopes he'll
have a great time at camp.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment