Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Kiki and Jacques

Kiki and Jacques

Juvenile fiction
"Jacques bent forward to lift up Pele [pet rabbit], and that's
when he noticed a guy in a gray hoodie and sagging gym pants jogging
down the street away from him. Jacques couldn't see his face, but he
knew exactly who he was."
At eleven, Jacques, protagonist of Susan Ross' Kiki and Jacques,
has more challenges than many American adults. His beloved mother has
died. His grief stricken father is drinking too much, unemployed, and
entering Jacques' life primarily as a bully. His grandmother may lose
her bridal shop, the family's one source of income. An older guy
named Duane is stalking him, pressuring him to do things he knows are
not only wrong, but dangerously wrong.
With school starting Jacques' soccer team has changed. He's a
team standout. Word is he's a shoe in for captain. However, there is
a new Somali student with amazing skills on the team. His father has
warned him he isn't going to "let this kid move in and make captain."
Then there's an enigmatic new Somali girl whom Jacques comes to
care about.
Author Ross grew up in Lewiston-Auburn. When Somali refugees
began to settle there in large numbers in the 2000s there was a lot of
controversy and fearmongering. Her experience let her to write this
fine novel. BTW, her refugee mother had a bridal shop.
"I could not have done this book without the help of wonderful,
inspiring Somali teen readers. It was a privilege to see the
experience of growing up in Maine through their eyes. Thank you for
showing how strong and resilient kids can be."
On a purrrsonal note, I was so NOT ready for the snow Monday!!!
Normally I love snow and find the first snow of the year magical. But
normally I'm leading an active, social life. This year it's just
something to make walking nowhere harder. It didn't help that it
happened right after we set the clocks back and darkness started
falling before supper. And I feel the cold much more than I did pre
COVID. It was easier to ignore when I was going fun and exciting
places. I hope next year at this time I will be going places, not
just walking to get exercise.
One good thing though. I got my 10 gallon pin in the mail from the
Red Cross. I sure will wear that with pride. (Jules)
The white stuff. It's back. It's back. The hoomans don't seem happy
to see it. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to all who welcome and help our
nation's newcomers.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment