Friday, March 13, 2020

Rad Women Worldwide

Rad Women Worldwide

YA/adult herstory
"Think of this book as a journey around the world: the 40
stories take place on every continent, and span millinia. They tell
about the lives and accomplishments of bold, brave women who lived
awesome, exciting, revolutionary, historic, and world-changing lives--
in other words, they're rad...in the face of doubt and danger, they
defied tradition, broke rules, and kept going. They spoke up, they
sang, they wrote, they fought."
Kate Schatz's Rad Women Worldwide beautifully lives up to the
promise of its welcome, partly quoted above. Although it's targeted
to a YA audience, most of outside its target demographics can enjoy
meeting up with a diverse band of sheroes. Some whom I had never
heard of include:
*Liv Arneson (Norway) and Anne Bancroft (USA) who made the arduous,
painful, and risky 94 day trek across Antarctica, motivated to keep on
going by the website through which three million schoolchildren
worldwide kept track of their progress;
*Faith Bandler (Australia) who dedicated over ten years of her life to
securing rights for her country's indigenous peoples;
and *Policarpa "La Pola" Salaverietta (Columbia), a nineteenth century
spy and revolutionary who, when caught by the Spanish, refused to
renounce her activities to save her life.
If you're ever in need of inspiration for yourself or your
daughters I cannot think of a finer book.
On a purrrsonal note, it was the last day before March break at
UMaine. The mood was very sad, more like a funeral than the start of
a vaca. I cleared out my locker, borrowed more books, and spent time
with friends whom I'll really miss. Mostly I was there to help
process food from dining for Black Bear Exchange. There was an
impromptu graduation ceremony for about 300 students. I was on the
way to process food when I saw my daughter Amber who is getting her
PhD. I so wanted to be there for her. But I knew I was needed
elsewhere. She understood.
I am very angry at all the presidents and other legislators of both
parties who did nothing over decades to prepare our nation for an
eventual pandemic. They were warned by scientists. We're in the
shitstorm we're in at least partly because they were asleep at the
wheel.
A great big shout out goes out to Amber and the other wonderful
students who are making a really big transition under really crappy
circumstances.
Jules and Tobago Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment