Thursday, March 5, 2020

Inconspicuous Consumption

Inconspicuous Consumption

Adult nonfiction
"The story of climate change--and all of our stuff--is really a
story about everything: science, health, injustice, inequality,
national and international politics, the natural world, business,
normal life. Climate change affects everyone constantly, but, until
very recently, we usually talked about if for a few days when some
natural disaster happened or a particularly scary report by government
scientists came out--if then--before we moved on to something else.
Really, we should be talking about it all the time. But it's scary,
and even though it's 'an existential crisis facing humanity,' it
doesn't always seem to connect to our lives, so we haven't talked
about it nearly enough."
Tatiana Schlossberg, climate change and environmental journalist
and author of Inconspicuous Consumption: The Envirinmental Impact You
Don't Know You Have, wants to change the situation. As she started
covering the topic she realized that getting people interested in it
was a hard sell. It can feel overwhelming and scary with a grim
future for the planet inevitable. Many scientists are boring and
confusing. And it can be hard to write about it in a way that was
understandable within the context of people's lives and lifestyle
choices.
"...I started thinking: What kinds of things am I doing or
buying without thinking about where they come from or what kind of
impact they have? How have our habits and our expectations changed
over time, maybe generating more waste or encouraging more
consumption?..."
Preventing the world from burning up or imploding or ceasing to
exist in some way of another is a comlex task--one that won't be
accomplished by a patchwork of quick slogan worthy fixes. But giving
up is not an option. Schlossberg wants us to know that we are not
powerless. As consumers we can demand that companies provide the
information about their products and processes that we need to make
informed choices and patronize the most conscientious and ethical
ones. As voters we can make sure candidates make the environment a
top priority. And by raising our voices whenever and wherever
possible we can spread our knowledge and passion.
Schlossberg gives readers an in depth look at the environmental
dangers and complexities surrounding four categories of items we use
every day: technology and the Internet, food, fashion, and fuel. A
lot of what she says will surprise you and some will probably make you
angry. But her writing is lucid and jargon free. And her voice is
conversational and intimate. Plus what she has to say is what we need
to hear.
In addition to being a must read for everyone who cares about
saving this beautiful blue planet and every species (including our
own) that relies on it for life, Inconspicuous Consumption would make
a great book club choice or a college freshperson or entire campus
unified read. I plan to speak with people in the right places at the
University of Maine.
On a purrrsonal note, with March break coming up in (Yikes!) less than
a week probably most students here at UMaine are working to get all we
need done before then. I know I am!!! Yesterday I stayed home until
afternoon so I could almost finish the first draft of one paper with
only one delightful distraction instead of dozens. (Tobago did help
me address a problem: what to do with the can of tuna that was left
over from my sandwich. Such a helpful girl!) When I got to campus 45
minutes before my work shift I saw some really cool people including
my older daughter, Amber, chilling. I decided hanging with them was
my homework reward. Friday will be another homework day. It will be
nice to have a short break before the end of the semester marathon. I
think at least 95% of my fellow students agree with me.
I'm really excited about Amber's bridal shower which will be Saturday.
A great big shout out to my fellow students who are getting work out
of the way before vaca. May the force be with you!
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment