Saturday, March 28, 2020

Identity Politics

Identity Politics

Adult nonfiction
"While many politicians and analysts have lauded identity
politics for its ability to bring the voices of marginalized peoples
to the forefront, it has also been criticized for its inherent
divisiveness. The cacaphony surrounding identity politics has only
become louder in recent years, with the polarization of contemporary
politics. In the United States, much attention has been given to
President Donald Trump's identity politics based on white, working
class identity which secured him the presidency in the fall of
2016. Some argue that the failure of identity politics led to this
divisive election, while others argue that identity politics is the
only thing that can 'fix' rampant racism and sexism--even as it's
being used on the extreme right to quell marginalized voices."
Identity Politics (quoted above) includes pieces such as:
*Mark Lilla argues that a "fixation on diversity" on college campuses
and in the media leaves people too narrowly focussed to work on larger
issues like the economy;
*Amanda Taub discusses the trends that are causing many whites to feel
under siege and needing to fight back;
*Michael Eric Dyson fills readers in on what Donald Trump doesn't know
about Black people;
and *Sarah Smarsh opines about liberals' biases rendering them unable
to really understand the lives of people in "Trump Country."
With over three dozen succinct pieces, there is a wide range of
views. This compact book is a fine choice for when you have small
chunks of reading time.
On a purrrsonal note, I did something exciting today. I hung my
laundry outside to dry. For me it's a sign of spring when it's warm
enough for me to do so. Actually I even looked forward to it back in
the day when I had a life. Other than that my biggest achievement was
moving my three miniature Christmas trees to a hopefully less cat
accessible location in the studio. For a being lacking opposable
thumbs Tobago is really good at pulling off the tiny ornaments. I
read and took notes on Internet coronavirus prevention articles with
the intensity with which I studied up for my program's legendary rite
of passage theories final exam. I walked outside an hour, looking for
signs of spring and practicing social distancing. I came home to find
another of my favorite signs of spring--my daffodils starting to poke
green shoots above the ground. This filled my heart with joy.
One thing about this staying to home bit has surprised me. I thought
I'd have nothing to write in my journal beyond the weather and what I
cooked for supper. I'm writing as much as ever. I also thought I'd
really cut down on posting reviews because I'd run out of content for
purrrsonal notes. Not hardly. (Jules)
Why did my hooman move the trees? I liked them where they were. And
where are the birdies? (Tobago)
Tobago and Jules Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment