Sunday, September 24, 2023

The Name She Gave Me

YA fiction
"This birthmother 
you keep asking about
kept a baby she gave birth to
seven years after you were born.
A half sister
from a different father.
The agency called us
during the pregnancy 
to see if we wanted her.
We said yes,
we'd take your sister,
but then your birthmother
changed her mind."
     Rynn was adopted as an infant.  She doesn't even know her birthmother's name, never mind why she gave her up and kept her half sister.  She's desperate for any information she can get about the woman who brought her into this world.  The two years she'll have to wait feels like an eternity.
     Prior to adopting Rynn her parents had tried unsuccessfully to have children.  She gets along beautifully with her dad.  But her mom's a whole other story.  There are so many ways Rynn can get in trouble because she never can anticipate what will set her mother off.
     Rynn does have one clue about her birthmother.  She shared a name, Scheherazade, with her until her adoptive parents changed it.  One day an internet search reveals that her mother died when she was twelve, leaving her younger, Ella...
     ...in the foster care system.  Her father is serving serious time in jail.  Her caseworker wants to find her a permanent adoptive family.  But Ella is not a fan of this plan.
"I don't want 
to get to know
a new family,
with new rules
and new food.
I want to stay
with Martha
until I'm eighteen,
and that's the only fact
that matters."
     Through a newly discovered uncle Rynn manages to start a series of caseworker meetings with Ella.  Suddenly her parents and Ella's caseworker are talking adoption.  But Rynn feels this would be a huge mistake.
     Author Betty Culley was placed in foster care at nine months and adopted at three.  As an adult she was reunited with five siblings and other family members.
     "Over the years, every new fact, even those that were hard to hear, gave me back another missing part of my history.  And they made me think even more about what it means to be adopted, what family is, as well as how we try to protect ourselves and the people we love.  And while Rynn's story is not my story, my personal experiences inspired the book."
On a purrrsonal note, I had the best day Saturday.  The fam (Amber, Brian, Katie, Jacob, Adam, and Brian's mom) got together at Amber and Brian's place for the several times postponed Father's Day cookout which now included my birthday πŸŽ‚ πŸ₯³ πŸŽ‰ 🎈 🎁 🎊  and Brian's mom's birthday.  Brian grilled burgers and hot dogs and people brought other good stuff.  I'd baked 🍎 sauce chocolate chip πŸͺ s because they're Katie's favorites.  We had so much fun being together and eating and talking.  I got some nice 🎁 s from the kids.  Adam gave me a black cat ☕️.   Now I have coffee mugs from all three kids.  Ann (Jacob's mom) who is a professional artist send me a framed πŸ–Ό.   And she's invited me to the Big City to go to an event in October.  Katie will pay for my round trip tickets.  Family time is the best! (Jules)
Adam stopped by to see me.  Family time is the best.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to our amazing family.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 


     




Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment