Saturday, September 9, 2023

That Flag

Picture book
"Bianca and I are almost twins.  We're the same in so many ways.
We both wear our hair in braids.
We spend independent reading time together.
We play four square better than anyone in our class.
    We're inseparable.  She's my best friend."
    However, Kiera, narrator of Tameka Fryer Brown's That Flag, and Bianca are only allowed to be together in school even though they live on the same street.  It's because of the flag in Bianca's yard.  Kiera's parents call it a hate flag while Bianca's call it a heritage flag.
     When the girls' class goes to the Southern Legacy Museum on a field trip Kiera begins to see the evils associated with the Confederate flag.  Later her parents tell her about racist incidents people in her family have experienced.
"We talk about the things Black people have to do every day to stay safe.
After our talk, I feel scared, confused, and mad.
But mostly I'm sad."
     Kiera is afraid she and Bianca can't be best friends anymore...
     ...but she's in for a good surprise.
     As a child Brown was warned to stay away from people who flew the Confederate flag but never told why.  It was only as an adult that she learned about its connection with white supremecy.  She ends her author's note with these words:
     "If human beings can learn to be racist, we can also learn not to be.  In fact, your generation could grow up to be the fairest, most inclusive generation our nation has ever seen...especially if we adults do our part and tell you more truths about more things.
     I wrote That Flag to do my part to make humanity better, because I believe in your power to change the world."
     I love ❤️ 😍 💖 ❣️ 💕 this empowering message.  We have to begin teaching it to children as early as possible.  So many of the smart, capable undergrads I work with are overwhelmed with the sheer amount of crises in the 🌎 today.  They feel that getting involved in any way, even voting, won't make a difference.  We have to begin empowering kids way before college age.  We have to raise the number of younger people voting and holding elected offices.  We need bold strategies and actions to save our nation and planet.  There is no way establishment politics with an emphasis on incrementalism and civility will cut it.  We need to address the 🐘 s in the room we tiptoe around and have the difficult conversations...
     ...before it's too late.
On a purrrsonal note, yesterday afternoon was amazing.  Elizabeth Allan, the head of the higher education program, had a meeting for the students who are graduating this year.  This year that includes me.  We shared what we did last summer ☀️.  Then we had the chance to ask questions.  When I learned that one of my classmates said that she'll be attending a regional higher education conference in Portland I almost fell out of my chair.  For quite awhile I've been trying to get down to the Big City.  My two younger children live there.  That's the bigger reason.  TBH I am also feeling root bound.  The places I spend time in are home, UMaine, downtown Orono, Goodwill, and camp.  Sometimes I want to spend time in a place more diverse and cosmopolitan than Penobscot County.  I want to really get to know Portland.  After the meeting the first year students joined us for an ice cream 🍦 😋 😊 😀 social.  We had good flavors and toppings.  And it was early enough for me to catch a bus home.  (Jules)
Home to her cat of course.  Home is where the 🐈 😻 🐈‍⬛️ 😺 🐱 is.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to Dr. Elizabeth Allan, the hostess with the most established.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 
     



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment