Monday, October 9, 2023

I didn't post for 2. weeks because I was in the hospital.  I had a stroke.  Writing is still tiring so for a while my reviews will be shorter.
P. O'Connell Pearson's We Are Your Children Too blew me away.  To avoid integration in 1955 Prince Edward County, Virginia shut down the public schools and started a whites only academy.  Thousands of Black children had their lives diminished, their futures foreclosed.
The poignant and powerful descriptions of the children's suffering will really grab teens' hearts.  The selfishness and cruelty of those who shut down the schools, treating kids as collateral damage, and the ineptness and sometimes complicity of some in government will enrage them.  
I couldn't think of a more perfect book to introduce teen readers to the concept of systemic racism and the way racist acts hurt people for generations.
Jules Hathaway

No comments:

Post a Comment