Friday, January 6, 2023

This Is How I Lied

Adult chiller 
     Well, readers, I hope you've been enjoying our dive into Heather Gudenkauf's chillers.  I know I've been in a literary seventh heaven.  This Is How I Lied brings us to the end of our journey.  For now.  I feel confident that even as you read this our new favorite mystery writer is working on another gem.
     It's a heart breaking tragedy.  The battered body of fifteen-year-old Eve is discovered in a cave.  Her little sister, Nola, and her best friend, Maggie, are the ones who find her.  Their small town is torn apart.  People have suspicions about the identity of her killer...
     ...but a quarter of a century later the cold case is still unsolved.  The then chief of police, Maggie's father, who worked valiantly to nail the killer, is retired, falling into the twilight world of dementia.  Grown up and very pregnant Maggie is a detective on the force.  Two boys playing in a cave find a boot wedged into a crevice.  It's an exact match to the one Eve was wearing when she was killed.
     The cold case is about to heat up again.  In 25 years there have been big advances in DNA analysis.  The boot and the previously tested artifacts are going to be submitted for new testing as soon as Maggie has them organized.
     It's a small town.  Word spreads quickly that the investigation is being reopened.  It seems that someone doesn't want the truth to come to light.  Maggie finds an origami bird on her windshield.  A barn on her family's farm is set on fire.  She starts getting hateful, menacing phone calls.
     Segueing between past and present, this multiple narrator story will have you on the edge of your seat, striving to deduce who the killer was before you hit the last chapter.
On a  purrrsonal note, after I turned my big paper in and presented at Academic Showcase I was very relieved to have this degree milestone safely behind me.  A couple of people in my class were going to do second internships.  I had that on the when Hell freezes over section of my to do list...
     ...until my advisor, Leah, bumped it up to spring semester.  OK, she strongly suggested it.  I could have said no.  She was saying I'd started doing so much event planning I might as well get credit for it.  And the week before someone had asked me to plan events for commuter students who are neglected in relation to dorm students.  The cherry on the top of the sundae--Leah is teaching it this semester.  I really want one more class with her before I get my degree.
     There was one major stumbling block.  I had to get an approved supervisor before the first day of classes.  Over winter break people are hard to connect with.  Yesterday I found someone willing to take this responsibility on.  (Jules)
It's been snowing just a little today.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to Ben for taking on my internship with the intense work and family schedule he carries.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 




Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment