Thursday, January 19, 2023

Good Enough

Juvenile fiction 
     "This has to be a quick stay.  I'm not that sick.  I just don't eat as much as Mom and Dad want me to.  This is so unfair.  I definitely don't look as bad as IV girl."
     Riley (12), protagonist of Jen Petro-Roy's Good Enough, has been admitted to an inpatient eating disorders unit.  Her whole life will be regimented.  Exercise is forbidden.  She must eat everything at meals and snacks.  She won't even be able to use the toilet without supervision.  
     The year before all the sixth graders in Riley's school had had their Body Mass Indexes calculated.  This information was supposed to be confidential.  But when the school nurse told Riley that she was overweight a mean girl heard and informed their peers.
     Suddenly Riley was eating less and less and running more and more.
     Now part of Riley is terrified of getting fat as a result of her new regimen.  But part of her yearns to be able to enjoy food and join her friends...
     ...if they still are her friends...
     ...in activities involving food like birthday parties.
     Riley's story is Petro-Roy's.  Her struggle with anorexia began when she was twelve.  As someone who has been there herself she is able to add an element of authenticity to her character, creating a young woman readers will care about and cheer for.
On a purrrsonal note, I started doing my office hours in the UMaine commuter lounge.  My second day, today, I impressed my supervisor.  A siren went off with lights flashing.  People were looking confused.  I stood up to my full insignificant height and calmly told them to grab their coats and head out by the nearest exit to the plaza right outside.  I watched them leave and followed the last one out and commended people on the awesome way they evacuated.  Later on my supervisor said, Good job, Jules!  You're really on top of things!  
I'm beginning to think I actually might be.  (Jules)
Well of course she is.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out to the commuter lounge crowd for a most efficient evacuation.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment