Monday, January 16, 2023

The Revolution of Birdie Randolph

YA Fiction 
     "Mimi has done everything before me, so I know what my life is supposed to look like.  I'm supposed to graduate at the top of my class and go to a good college where I will study something respectable that will get me an impressive high-paying job."
     Birdie, narrator of Brandy Colbert's The Revolution of Birdie Randolph, is spending her summer getting ready to nail the SATs.  Her parents have sky high expectations for her.  Anything other than academics is considered a waste of time.  She's even had to quit soccer.
     Birdie's parents are also strict about dating.  They very much approved of her ultra respectable non partying ex-boyfriend, Mitchell.  They will feel very differently about her current guy, Booker.  He's spent time in juvie.  Sneaking out to meet up with him can't give them nearly enough time together.  But she doesn't want to have to give him up.
     And then there's Birdie's aunt.  Carlene, in and out of rehab, struggles with addiction.  Her relationship with her high achieving sister, Birdie's mother, is anything but smooth.  Now she's moved in.  Her presence may reveal a well hidden family secret.
     Join Birdie and her family for a far from dull, verging on explosive summer.
On a purrrsonal note, tomorrow is showtime, the first day of the new semester.  Hopefully my third from last in my masters degree pursuit.  I'm excited and anxious, cycling between I've got this and OH, MY GAWD!!!  (Jules)
She's got this.  She's hard working and smart.  And it's not like it's her first internship.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to other students about to start spring semester.



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment