Saturday, January 28, 2023

Solito: A Memoir

Adult memoir 
     "What's gonna happen?  We had to make it this time.  I might never see my parents.  I don't want to sleep in that cage.  I don't want to sleep without Carla and Patricia.  I want my parents.  I want a real bed.  I want McDonald's and snow and a swimming pool.  I don't want to walk the desert ever again."
     Javier Zamora was born the same year as my older daughter.  When they were both nine years old, while Amber finished a school year and started her summer vacation, always securely tucked into her bed at night, always with plenty to eat, surrounded by family and friends, he was struggling to cross a desert apart from his family, often too cold or hot, hungry, thirsty, exhausted.  Solito is his story.
     He was being raised by his grandparents and his aunt.  His father had fled to the United States when he was a baby.  His mother had followed when he was five.  They both had to leave because of a United States bankrolled civil war.  For awhile he's been told that he will take a three thousand mile trip to join them.
     When the time to set off to join his parents arrives Zamora's journey is much harder than anyone had predicted.  It was supposed to last two weeks.  It became a two month nightmare.  
     His narrative reads like a fictional chiller.  Only the most chilling aspect is that this is the experience of a flesh and blood child who had not even shed his baby teeth...
     ...and so many others like him.  
     It is an extremely well written narrative.  Only as you read it pause now and then and imagine your child, grandchild, niece or nephew in Zamora's plight.  Let it get you royally pissed off.  It will take a lot of us to change things.
On a purrrsonal note, my day got off to a beautiful start.  Anna was my manager at Wells in the Great Before.  We're still good friends and animal lovers.  She took me out for hot drinks and donuts.  We had a great time and so much to talk about!  Friends with whom you can be you authentic self are some of life's great treasures.  (Jules)
Anna visited me too.  She's the one who helped me find my home and family by driving Jules to Waterville Humane Society.  She's my godmother.  That is why my full name is Tobago Anna Hathaway.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to Anna.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment