Sunday, December 30, 2018

We Are Like The Clouds

We Are Like The Clouds

Children's poetry
"This collection of poems describes the odyssey that thousands
of boys, girls, and young people from El Salvador, Guatamala,
Honduras, and Mexico undertake when they flee their countries because
of extreme poverty and fear of violence. They abandon everything in
hope of a better life."
Jorge Argueta fled El Salvador to escape war in the 1980s. Now
he works with young people in America and El Salvador. Their stories
(i.e., "I am afraid of being by the gangs. I don't know what to do.
My father lives in Los Angeles. If I go I have to go alone. Should I
go or stay?") are the basis of his We Are Like The Clouds, told in
both Spanish and English.
The poems are sparse and evocative. The Talker describes fear
of the mob boss who orders underlings to commit violence. In iPod a
boy wishes a friend luck in reaching America and promises to take care
of his dog. To me the most poignant one is written in the form of a
prayer:
"Santa Toribio,
saint of the immigrants,
show us the way.
Don't let us fall into the hands of the migra,
and never in the hands of the traffickers,
or worse, the minute men.
You who are the good coyote,
protect us, lead us.
Deliver us from all evil. Amen.
Migra is immigration services, people capable of sending immigrants
back to their home countries to start the perilous journey all over
again. Minutemen are armed civilian gangs, capable of great malice
and cruelty.
We Are The Clouds is a must acquire for school and public
libraries. It's a great way to help children understand the vicious
cruelty of "Build a wall! Build a wall!"
On a personal note, Eugene is back from camp. He gave me the most
incredible fuzzy one piece Christmas cat pajamas I've ever seen. I
know what I'm wearing to party New Years Eve!
We did some food shopping. I ran into a good friend from my acting
days. She wanted me to come back. I'm missed. I have to admit I
miss acting BUT grad school and my wonderful job don't allow enough
time. I did appreciate her kind words.
We have us a frozen pizza. That is going to be so yummy for supper!
A great big shout out goes out to Eugene and to my good friends from
my acting years.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment