Sunday, December 2, 2018

Malala's Magic Pencil

Malala's Magic Pencil

Juvenile herstory
Many adults have read the inspiring story of Malala Yousafzai,
Nobel Peace Prize winning activist for girls' education. Now through
her Malala's Magic Pencil schoolchildren can read her story. This is
fitting as she began her advocacy as a school girl.
Malala used to wish for a magic pencil like a character in a
children's tv show in her native Pakistan. She could use it to make
her wishes and those of her family come true. As she grew older she
wanted a magic pencil to tackle larger problems like war and poverty.
Malala loved school. She felt bad for children who couldn't
attend because their family needed their income to survive. Then her
own education was threatened. Armed men began keeping girls out of
school. Many of her peers complied. In a situation in which many
people, adults as well as children, would have felt helpless she began
to write to tell the rest of the world what was happening.
"When you find your voice, any pencil can be magic."
I like the idea of magic pencils. When I write opinion pieces
for the Bangor Daily News, pen poems that touch people's hearts and
souls, and introduce you, dear readers, to excellent books you might
not otherwise hear about, I feel like I have a little pencil magic
going on.
On a personal note, two more weeks of school and then finals. I had a
totally stunning surprise. I went to Blackboard to read feedback on
two papers that had been graded to incorporate criticisms into the
paper I was working on. I saw e words like excellent and exemplary.
I was stunned. Maybe my pencil magic is working overtime.
We had a history making home football game Saturday. Of course I was
serving brunch to the fans up to Wells.
A great big shout out goes out to the UMaine football Black Bears who
have fought their way from tragedy (death of a teammate in preseason)
to triumph and the coaches who have guided them.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment