Thursday, December 20, 2018

Diary Of A Waitress

Diary Of A Waitress

Juvenile historical fiction
"My new life is about to begin. I've been hired. I leave day
after tomorrow for Emporia for training to become a Harvey girl.
Feeling a little woozy--I didn't realize it would happen so fast.
More later. The streetcar to Leavenworth is here.
So excited I can hardly breathe."
Don't feel bad if you don't know what a Harvey girl is. I
didn't until I read Carolyn Meyer's Diary Of A Waitress. Meyer
herself lived on Harvey turf for years before discovering the story.
In the 1870's Fred Harvey, a British immigrant, was a railway
worker. Finding available food horrible, he decided he could do
better. His first depot restaurant was such a success it led to a
restaurant and hotel chain along the line from Kansas City to
California that would thrive for seventy years. A drunk brawl in New
Mexico in 1883 inspired Harvey to hire girls, providing a unique
living and working experience for over 100,000.
Protagonist Kitty has her heart set on college. She plans to
become a journalist. Needless to say, she's not a happy camper when,
after high school graduation as salutarian, she learns that her family
can't afford further education for her. Her older brother, a far from
stellar student with a penchant for partying, however, will be
returning for his junior year. He needs to make his way in the world,
maybe take over the family business. She will settle down with a nice
young man who will provide for her.
Kitty's father has put a good word in for her with a fellow
merchant who needs girls to work in his store. "Selling shoes!
Spending my life trying to please persnickity old women with smelly
feet." Before she has to submit to that grim future she sees an ad in
the newspaper.
"Young women 18 to 30 years of age, of good character, attractive and
intelligent, as waitresses in the Harvey Eating Houses on the Santa Fe
Railroad in the West.
Good wages with room and board furnished.
No experience necessary."
Her mother tried to veto her job choice. She's too young to
leave home. She isn't "that sort of girl." What sort of girl?
Waitresses aren't that far above saloon girls, "the lowest of the
low." She'll ruin her reputation and life (along of those of her
mother). Fortunately her father decides she'll have to learn better
the hard way.
Pack your valise and join Kitty at the depot. You're in for a
pretty exciting ride.
On a personal note, Tuesday was my poster presentation. For two hours
I stood in front of my posters answering a ton of questions. Then we
had the department Christmas party at my prof's house. Good food, a
scintilating crowd, a Yankee swap. It was a wonderful holiday
celebration.
Then Wednesday I was able to use the UMaine Bookstore gift card I got
at the Yankee swap (the most coveted item) to get an adorable puppy
wearing a UMaine sweater.
Today I learned my grade. But you'll have to read my next review to
find out if I bombed out or get to stay in my masters program.
A great big shout out goes out to my fellow students finishing out
their semesters with beat wishes for a wonderful vaca.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment