Monday, December 24, 2018

Together We Rise

Together We Rise

Adult nonfiction
"Where were you on January 21, 2017? If you were like five
million women from Washington D.C. to Dar es Salaam to Seoul, you
marched in towns large and small, on state capitals. You rode buses,
took trains, carpooled with others, scraped together cash to pay the
fare. You made signs, held your children in one hand and a sign in
another. [I did when my kids were little. Precious memories.] You
stood up to tyranny. You raised your voice."
If you watched the women's march or one of its around the world
spin offs--I'm betting even if you attended the event--it all seemed
so smooth. I know I had no clue to all the Herculean work that led up
to the event. Together We Rise gives a detailed chronology of the
"single largest protest in world history" from inspiration to reality
and beyond. Logistics (everything from permits to porta potties)
posed huge challenges. Then there was the whole Internet dimension.
With the diversity of people involved, there were differences that, if
not resolved, could have torpedoed the whole thing.
What did I like best about the book? First of all it was the
photographs. They occupy close to half of the pages. The faces and
body language of subjects are so eloquent. The signs are kick ass.
These are pictures to linger over, not flip through.
Pretty close was the diversity of voices included. This wasn't
the work of just one or a few. A wide range of people shared their
most intimate thoughts. I felt like I was given the privilege of
listening to private conversations.
Did you know that there was a march in Antarctica? The
organizer has trouble registering that march because initially it
required street addresses which didn't exist on thar continent. And
that wasn't the only extreme cold weather place where people
participated. The forty who marched in Unalakleet, Alaska braved a
windchill of -40!
There were two quotes that especially inspired me. One is by a
mother who marched for her child.
"Every parent loves their child and will do anything to protect
them. In my case, I happen to have a transgender child. I know he is
healthier and happier living the gender he identifies with. To take
his rights away in the bathroom, classroom, or work force would be
removing him from society. That I will not accept. For that I
marched and will continue to march."
The other by Gloria Steinem beautifully addresses a dilemma I
find myself in. Many activists in "my" generation take one of two not-
that-helpful positions. A large number are stepping aside entirely,
leaving the whole mess our world is in to our children and grands. I
consider that incredibly irresponsible. Others, still wanting to be
in charge, disrespect younger people. "You're not old enough to
understand." What the bloody Hell? Did they forget how we felt when
we were their ages and older people wrote us off the same way?
I feel that the world is in such a mess we can't afford to have
any generation missing in action in the fight for peace, justice, and
survival. So I love what Steinem had to say:
"At my age, in this still-hierarchical time, people often ask me
if I'm 'passing the torch.' I explain that I'm keeping my torch, thank
you very much--and I'm using it to light the torches of others."
Amen to that!
On a personal note, Eugene and I had a wonderful long dinner with
Amber, Brian, and Katie. We had burgers and fries with cookies for
dessert. Mostly we talked. That time together was precious beyond
measure. Soon Katie will be here to sleep in her bed in the studio
like old days and open gifts with us in the morning.
A great big shout out goes out to my partner, our children, their
significant others, and precious Joey cat.
jules hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment