Sunday, December 16, 2018

Swoosh!

Swoosh!

Juvenile biography
You are your kids have probably had fun with super soakers. I
have fond memories of muggy summer day spontaneous wars during my
children's younger years. I also used one to teach my father-in-law
not to smoke in my baby's face. I bet you didn't think of the science
behind the development of this gigantic water pistol. I admit I
didn't. Crhris Barton's Swoosh! schooled me. I think you too will
find it intriguing and a great volume to share with kids in your life.
Inventor Lonnie Johnson started tinkering early in life. He had
challenges including finding space in the small house he shared with
his parents and five siblings. He dazzled his classmates with
homemade rockets. He yearned to become an engineer. Fortunately he
ignored the test results indicating that he would not be a good one.
In 1968 his high school team won first place at the University of
Alabama Science Fair (that had been whites only five years earlier)
with Linux, a robot made of scrap metal.
As a NASA scientist, Johnson worked on very challenging
problems. In his free time he worked in his own lab. One day,
seeking to invent a refrigerator cooling system that wouldn't hurt the
environment, he created a powerful water stream that he envisioned as
the core of a new water gun.
I can't say the rest is history. He still faced plenty of
challenges, especially after he quit his secure day job to invest
himself in his inventing. But he never gave up on himself and his
ideas.
Readers can find a lot more out about how super soakers work.
But Johnson encourages kids to put the books down, shut off the
devices, and start taking things apart to see how they work. That's
how he and a lot of other inventors got started. It's a great way to
engage the hands on learners too often neglected in public schools.
The motivation for the book came from a lunch conversation
Barton had with two Texas librarians. They had been at a seminar
where attendees, when asked to draw a scientist, sketched mostly
whites. He wanted to help send the message that today's scientists
are much more diverse.
Even as he works on his own projects Johnson makes time to
encourage the efforts of tomorrow's scientists and engineers. He
hopes the book will inspire them.
On a personal note, Thursday I had one of the most beautiful holiday
events possible. Wells had our Winterfest. Our dining commons was
transformed into Paris meets Victorian England with fairy lights and
fancy table settings and an ice sculpture sleigh and so much good
food. Our students were treated to a real feast. The hours before
the event were employees only. We put on finishing touches and also
had time to relax and talk and be so proud of what we had achieved
together. Those moments made me so happy to be alive.
A great big shout goes out to my treasured dining services family.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment