Sunday, November 12, 2017

Our Story Begins

Our Story Begins

Juvenile nonfiction
"I was born in New York City in July 1923. My earliest memories
are of drawing, drawing, drawing. After my earliest drawings, under
ten, I copied comics and art from magazines. To free myself from
copying, I began drawing from life, using my brothers and sisters as
models...These drawings are the source that nourished my growth as an
artist."
Ashley Bryan [quoted above], one of the artist/writers who has
done the most to bring authentic multiculturalism to juvenile lit, is
one of twenty-six children's book authors and illustrators featured in
Elissa Brent Weissman's Our Story Begins: Your Favorite Authors And
Illustrators Share Fun, Inspiring, And Occasionally Ridiculous Things
They Wrote And Drew As Kids. What a concept! So simple and yet so
elegant.
Kwame Alexander is brilliant at telling dynamic, complex stories
through free verse. He also empowers student writers through his Page
to Stage Writing Workshop and travels the world promoting literacy.
He shares his first real poem he write about his mom. Awwww! It took
him two days and lots of drafts to complete it to his satisfaction.
Linda Sue Park, a Newberry Medal winner, has written over two
dozen picture books and novels. She grew up writing poems and was
thrilled when her father gave her her first typewriter. She
contributes a poem inspired by the first time she ever saw the ocean.
The very prolific Phyllis Reynolds Naylor loved her parents'
evening family story times. As a child, she drew and illustrated
little books. This was during the Depression. With new paper an
unavailable luxury, she worked with used paper her mother brought home
from work. I suspect you'll enjoy her The Food Fairies, created on
Gospel Trumpet Company Stationary.
And there are twenty-two other equally fascination authors and
illustrators to read about. This would be a highly empowering book
for kids to see that their favorites started out a lot like them and
parents to see that the creators of books they enjoyed as youngsters
weren't always polished book cover presences.
Now, for you lucky blog followers I am going to add a twenty-
seventh. True, I have not had a single book published yet.
Inshallah, God willing, it's only a matter of time. So I will share
my first saved piece of writing, a tribute to a special companion. I
wrote this when I was ten.

Sheba
Sheba, prettiest of ocelots,
Has tawny fur in stripes and spots.
She's a sage little creature clothed in fur
With a lion's roar and a tigers purr.
If you search the world around
I doubt there ever will be found
Another Sheba.

And, yes, I did have a pet ocelot. Try not to be too jealous.
On a purrrrsonal note, last night we had the annual Orono Community
Garden dinner and awards. John, Shelley, and their puppy pal, Effie
Mae, hosted at their home. We had a scrumptious homemade soup supper
topped with a perfect pie. The people who attended were a just right
mix. A wood fire and great background music capped off an evening to
celebrate. I surprised John and Shelley (Effie Mae was none too
impressed) by giving them a best garden family award. I am once again
most sociable gardener. I received a planter with green shoots coming
up. I will keep it in the kitchen and hope Joey does not see it as
salad bar.
I am getting lots of positive feedback on my latest BDN opinion piece.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment