Thursday, October 8, 2026

Up In Flames (YA fiction)

     The first time I read a book by an excellent author I check to see if they have any others published. I was over the moon when I discovered that Hailey Alcaraz's Rosa By Any Other Name was her sophomore offering. I speedy quick sent away for her Up In Flames by inter library loan...
     ...and it was all I hoped for and more. The plot was super engaging and suspenseful. The characters were complex and believable. It was easy to imagine and relate to. Very relevant social justice issues were integral to the plot...
     ...and it was a reworking of a century old classic. I admit I'm not a big fan of this genre. >
It generally involve works that I read ages ago to not flunk classes--like The Iliad, The Odyssey, and anything by Austin. But this is a reworking of a novel I read of my own free will and, in my opinion, captures the ambiance of the original. See if you can guess what it is by the end of this review. Hint names and initials are big tells. 
"Ruby Ortega always got what she wanted. 
     However, Ruby Ortega also often wanted what she couldn't have"
     When we first meet Ruby, Alcaraz's narrator, she's basically stealing the show at her younger sister's quinceanera, wearing a dress her mother considers indecent and being wooed by the male attendees, bored by their attention because they aren't her long time crush, Ashton Willis...
     ...but when he arrives his news is a real buzz kill for Ruby. He's excited for her to meet his girlfriend, Millie Hamilton. 
     "Girlfriend? For as long as she had known him, Ashton had never had a girlfriend. She had always thought of him as patiently waiting for her to come around, and now that the stars had finally aligned, he had a girlfriend? They were supposed to be together."
     Much to Ruby's chagrin, an aggravating stranger, Remy Bustillos, was eavesdropping on their conversation. 
     Ruby starts college at Ashton's school determined to make him see the light. But a crisis is on the way in the form of wildfires that have been drawing nearer to Ruby and Ashton's homes. When they arrive Ruby rushes home to find her mother dead and the rest of her family in a state of shock. 
     Even after the flames have retreated there's no going back to school for Ruby. True her home is intact. But the luxury bed-and-breakfast the Ortegas run and the reception hall they were having built suffered serious damage. Her father has become incapable of running things. Her sisters are too young to share the burdens of being in charge. So it's all on Ruby. 
     Ashton drifts in and out, unsure of his role and future. Remy, however is providing assistance and connections when she really needs them. 
     Will Ruby ever wake up and smell the coffee ☕️?
     Have you figured out what the original book is? I'll reveal tĥe answer in my next review. 
On a purrrsonal note, wintery weather is closing in much too fast. I have to wear a coat when I go places or read near my flowers 💐. The furnace kicks on. Tuesday night was our first frost. I covered my flowers and they did fine. I hope we get at least a few warm days before the worst season of the year assaults Maine. 
A great big shout out goes out to the people who deliver heating fuel. 
Jules Hathaway 


Sent from my Galaxy

No comments:

Post a Comment