Monarch and Mourning Cloak: A Butterfly Journal is one of the most beautiful nature books I've ever seen. It's a true scientific/artistic collaboration between Melissa Stewart (author) and Sarah S. Brannen (illustrator).
I really love how, instead of discussing generic butterflies, Stewart and Brannen focus on two distinct species--contrasting their life cycles, their foods, their hibernations, and the ways of staying safe from predators.
The pictures are gorgeous. The ones that show settings are very location and time specific.
Stewart has been keeping nature journals since she was twenty. Brannen started drawing in sketch books as a child. They encourage readers of all ages to incorporate these practices into their lives, emphasizing that there is no right or wrong way to do so.
Just think of the proven physical, psychological, and spiritual benefits of spending time in green spaces!
On a purrrsonal note, I had a wonderful weekend. Saturday I was paparazzi for UMaine's Family and Friends weekend activities on the Mall. The weather was perfect. Between the sunshine and the foliage the day had a golden glow. The people and dogs provided a plethora of photo ops. I got the chance to hang out with really good friends. I got tinsel put in my hair for free. And because I was volunteering I got a free event tee shirt and a food truck voucher to buy a delicious lunch I wouldn't have afforded. In the afternoon I campaigned door to door for Mike Tipping. Sunday after our Governers breakfast Eugene and I went leaf peeping.
A great big shout out goes out to all who participated in Family and Friends weekend and campaigned for Mike and Troy Jackson and Eugene.
Jules Hathaway
Sent from my Galaxy
No comments:
Post a Comment