Saturday, August 29, 2026

Thank You, Teachers (adult nonfiction)

     I'm sure you've heard the saying: if you can read, thank a teacher. Literacy is not the only reason to appreciate educators. Every day they go beyond the call of duty (or job description) to hook students up with resources their families can't afford. They are intuitive. They can realize strengths and challenges and the special interests that can make learning feasible and exciting. I've talked to so many people who credit a teacher with turning their life around. I wouldn't be surprised if you have a story. 
     My sheroes are my grad school professors: ElizabethAllan, Leah Hakkola,  and Kathleen Gillon. When I went back to school after a forty year gap in which technology evolved seemingly at the speed of light they and their TAs help me adjust to the new world of electronics. After the stroke their confidence in and valuing of me helped me believe in myself and persevere and triumph and get my masters in higher education in the face of residual brain damage. They knew that I could do it even when I didn't. A lot of the credit for who I am today goes to my personal trinity. 
     Sadly it's getting ever more stressful to become a teacher. Due to factors such as salaries so low that many must moonlight to make rent and eat, additional time consuming tasks during and beyond the work day, and intrusion of government micromanagement a growing number of gifted and talented teachers are burning out and many college students with real potential aren't even considering the field. 
     All of us can and should thank James Patterson and Matt Eversman for writing Thank You, Teachers. This hard hitting, straightforward narrative consists of stories by teachers. Readers get the inside scoop on the difficult challenges they face--challenges resulting from the children themselves, often in poor physical and mental health, traumatized, behind on the most basic skills necessary for academic success, and endangered in the place they deserve to feel safe; the homes the come from where they may encounter extreme poverty or neglect at the hands of drug using and/or dealing or mentally ill parents or other family members; salaries that are hard to get by on especially when they have to buy many absolutely necessary school supplies fortheirstudents; dangerously underfunded workplaces; and too many mandates from a government seemingly intent on shutting down public education. Some of these stories will anger and/or sadden you...
     ...Fortunately there are others that will elate and inspire you showing the joys and rewards of the profession--the moments that affirm career choices and commitment. 
     In his author's note Patterson reminds us of our responsibility to those to whom we, individually and as a society, owe so much. 
     "I've said it before, and it bears repeating: Teachers are heroes. Let's join them on the front lines as they show us just what it takes to teach kids day in and day out, what it takes to foster future generations of lifelong readers and lifelong leaders. 
     Teachers will show us the way."
     Amen to that!!!
On a purrrsonal note, after this weekend the pace of my life will really pick up. I'll be back to job hunting and volunteering at UMaine while still engaged with children's and community gardens, this blog, house stuff, my 2nd manuscript, finding a publisher for my 1st manuscript, an at least 2 hour commute any time I go somewhere... I feel tired even thinking about it. Today is my end of summer festivity--a family party at Amber and Brian's place which I'm really looking forward to. The weather is purrrfect for outdoor events. 
A great big shout out goes out to all the teachers who make such differences in the lives of their students. 
Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my Galaxy

No comments:

Post a Comment