Well, just as I promised, this is the second in our pair of reviews exploring books that deal with trusted authority figures behaving very inexcusably badly. Only this time we cross over from state (public schools) to church and our perp is a very charismatic preacher.
"When I first pressed charges,
nobody prepared me for the pressure.
About the lens I would be under.
The weight that comes with having something to prove to people who are determined to make you small."
Sixteen-year-old Amina, narrator of Hannah V. Sawyerr's All the Fighting Parts, lets readers know right off she's no angel. She's in the principal's office--for stuff like going off campus for lunch, being paid to write other people's essays, and giving a teacher a piece of her mind--as often as an honors student is in the library. One day her history teacher makes a call home to her father...
...who consults Pastor Johnson about what to do to get Amina to listen. They decide that she'll help out around the church. Then when a friend suggests that she work for Johnson for money she likes the idea.
"I could finally dress and look the way I want to,
instead of looking and dressing only in ways I can afford."
I think most of us as teens had things we could use a little extra money for. Well the work is easy and the pay generous. All seems to be fine until he brings her into the empty church supposedly to do some paperwork...
...and a girl who gets in trouble for her outspokennes is silenced, unable to defend herself.
"I watch my abuser preach on pulpits
& still have to maintain a decent GPA.
Every day I shrink
smaller than my silence."
Then one night as Bible study is about to begin the attendees see their pastor arrested and taken away in a police car. Another victim has come forward. The congregants (including Amina's father) are sure it's a terrible mistake. Their man of God could never do something so heinous.
When Amina comes out about her experience and prepares to testify let's say the shit hits the fan.
All the Fighting Parts, narrated dynamically in free verse, is captivating and engaging. Sawyerr creates a highly credible protagonist that it's probably impossible not to care about in a narrative that exposes the evil that beloved and charismatic pastors can get away with. It can help teen victims see red flags and have the courage to come forward with the truth and adults go from skeptics to advocates and allies.
On a purrrsonal note, Saturday after our Governers breakfast Eugene and I went to camp. It was drizzling and chilly. When we stopped at home to pick up our stuff I added a sweatshirt. Eugene said I wouldn't need it. I wisely ignored him. By the time we got to Machias to get subs for lunch and when we arrived at camp it was flat out pouring. Then when we'd finished lunch it cleared up. I was grateful I didn't have to walk in the rain. With less than 2 months to make it a year without missing a day of exercise I would have walked in a damn hurricane. I spent a lovely afternoon reading on the porch. After dinner we watched a movie. The next day we drove home and Eugene was working on building a new porch. In all the heat. It came out really nice. Seeing him doing carpentry brought back precious memories of my Uncle Ken who also was gifted with tools. Yesterday I spent a blissful day in the air conditioned Orono Public Library reading and writing. Pastor Malcolm came over all HOW DID YOU DO IT??? He was alluding to the $1,000 in sponsorship. I told him the truth. I talked to people and they talked to people and people kept giving me money.
A great big shout out goes out to Eugene the sweet little boy who caught my eye nearly four decades ago.
Jules Hathaway
Sent from my Galaxy
No comments:
Post a Comment