Sunday, August 9, 2026

Listen to the Girls (juvenile fiction)

     Way long ago before I even met Eugene a professor told me that he was sleeping with one of his graduate students. There were credible rumors that one of his colleagues had a way for females he considered attractive to earn As. Unfortunately it's still going on. Professors abuse the power differential. Graduate and undergraduate women very often don't report them. A lot of factors stand in the way: realistic fears of not being believed, possible retribution, and the are-you-sures people often present girls and women with when they claim harassment by people in power.
     It's bad enough when it happens in higher education. Unfortunately the predators are also in high school and even middle school. That's why Chrystal D. Giles' very aptly titled Listen to the Girls is so important. 
"The last day of seventh grade started with Jacob Parks' nose squirting blood all over Bus 1709 and ended with rumors swirling about Mr. Chavis harassing students."
     Toward the end of the day rumors start flying. A news story has claimed that Mr Chavis, a popular new teacher had been accused of inappropriate behavior by students at his former school. Calla, Giles' protagonist, is initially upset.
     "This has to be some kind of mean joke. Or some student who's mad about a bad grade. Right? He's literally the nicest teacher in the whole school."
     The accusations and comments spread quickly. Many people are defending the teacher--claiming that a good man's reputation is being attacked and accusing the girls of lying. Then the story and comments are taken off the internet. 
     Calla and her best friends, Charlee and Jacoby, create an online place where the girls can post their stories. They name it Listen to the Girls. Some of the stories bear an uncanny resemblance to her experiences with Mr. Chavis: assurances of her specialness, preferential treatment, requests to keep secrets. Could the teacher she respected and trusted be actually grooming her? Could his intentions be anything but good?
     Always do what you know is right to do. That's one of Calla's mother's favorite aphorisms...
     ...but what do you do if you don't know what the right thing is?
If my daughters were in middle school I'd gift them each with a copy of Listen to the Girls. It's an enlightening and empowering narrative that can give girls the knowledge and confidence to notice red flags in adult behavior and say something. It can help adults believe them and become allies. 
     Unfortunately it could become a target of banners and censors who don't want girls to be listened to and believed. 
On a purrrsonal note, when I was in high school back in the '60s I was molested by a married gym teacher who told me it was our little secret. Sure that secrecy would allow him to hurt other girls, I went right to the principal who called me a vicious little liar who was trying to destroy a good man. If I didn't stop I'd be in big trouble. So I was silenced. But I somehow knew that I was not to blame--that he had committed a sin and a crime. Just the knowing protected me from feeling guilt and shame. As a mother of daughters I feel that this knowing is essential in today's world. My next review on Tuesday will deal with predation by another trusted authority--a charismatic preacher. 
A great big shout out goes out to Giles for this very important and truth telling narrative. 
Jules Hathaway 


Sent from my Galaxy

No comments:

Post a Comment