Sunday, August 4, 2024

Breathing Underwater (YA fiction)

"Sometimes people with epilepsy have to readjust their goals, Dr. Cappalano had said. But there isn't any as-good-as situation here. I don't want almost-but. I squeeze my eyes closed, pressing my fingers into the lids until stars ignite the darkness."
Tess, protagonist of Abbey Lee Nash's Breathing Underwater, has her summer and future all planned out. An elite swimmer, she'll spend the vacation life guarding and practicing intensively to prepare for Nationals. Doing well in that intense competition will pave the way to a scholarship to a college with a highly ranked team. Swimming is an integral part of her—it's where she feels most truly alive.
Then one night in a teammate's pool everything goes black. Tess wakes up to a nightmarish scene. An EMT tells her she's had a seizure. Her EEG results are inconclusive. Until the doctors really know what's going on she has to stay out of places where losing consciousness would be especially dangerous…like swimming pools.
Her parents are deeply divided on what she should do. Her mother thinks she should take every precaution recommended. Her father, who works a second job to cover her swimming expenses, thinks she shouldn't wait for a doctor's permission to get back in the water.
And Tess's best friend seems to be ditching her to hang out with other friends.
Nash herself was diagnosed with epilepsy when she was in her thirties, giving her narrative a very strong ring of authenticity. It's an especially good read for people who's lives are knocked at least temporarily sidewise by a newly diagnosed disability.
On a purrrsonal note, readjusting goals was something I had to do after the stroke. I had been determined to get my masters in higher education the year that my son, Adam, got his master's in business administration. I was determined to do so even after the stroke until I had to wake up and smell the coffee. Trying to finish my degree in one semester would be a recipe for disaster. Although I was sad not to graduate with Adam, adding another year was necessary for me to graduate at all.
A great big shout out to all who have had to struggle with unexpected medical detours in life.
Jules Hathaway

No comments:

Post a Comment