Monday, August 22, 2022

Most Powerful Words About Civil Rights

Juvenile nonfiction
      "She [Fannie Lou Hamer] was known for her deeply honest speeches, which addressed issues head on.  'Is this America,' Hamer said, ' the land of the free and the home of the brave, where...our lives be threatened daily, because we want to live as decent human beings?'"
     Most spoken or written speech has a very short life span.  But there are some pieces that capture people's attention and sometimes outlive their authors.
     "'I have a dream,' King said, 'that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.'"
     Sarah Smykowski's Most Powerful Words About Civil Rights shows younger readers the activism of the 50s and 60s through a different lens.  From Rosa Parks whose refusal to give up her bus seat led to the Montgomery Bus Boycott ("People always say that I didn't give up my seat because I was tired, but that wasn't true...No, the only tired I was, was tired of giving in.") to Black Congresswomen Shirley Chisholm ("I want to be remembered as a woman...who dared to be a catalyst of change.") portraits of leaders are focused around some of their most well known quotes.
     At the end of the book readers are reminded that the work carried out by these courageous leaders is far from complete.  They too can make a difference.
On a purrrsonal note, even though classes don't start until next week I started working today.  I'm at Hilltop since Wells is shut down.  I know a lot of the non student workers including my BFFs Kristina and Jen and a bunch of the students including the football team.  Yeah, I like it there.  Not so thrilled with the commute though. (Jules)
As long as her new manager and supervisors treat her right... (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to the Hilltop team.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment