Thursday, August 25, 2022

Birthright Citizenship

     "In October 2018, President Donald Trump revealed in a television interview that he planned to end birthright citizenship.  Trump stated, "We're the only country in the world where a person comes in and has a baby, and the baby is essentially a citizen of the United States...with all those benefits.  It's ridiculous.  It's ridiculous.  And it has to end.
     I don't have to tell you that immigration is a controversial issue.  Our nation is deeply divided over who does and doesn't belong.  Birthright citizenship is one of its contentious points with its defenders claiming it's a matter of justice and a way of maintaining a richly diverse population and its detractors fearing that too many people from away could destroy America's character and culture.  
     Tony Allman's Birthright Citizenship traces the history of this issue from the writing of the Constitution through the adoption of the fourteenth amendment and the Chinese Exclusionary Acts to Trump's regime.  It presents both sides of the issue.   Although written for children,  it contains information that will be new to many adults.  I was horrified to learn that while agencies put much time and effort into preventing Mexicans and Central Americans from giving birth on American turf, affluent people from other countries, about 36,000 a year, can come into America to deliver their babies in what is called birth tourism.  That just isn't right!
     Birthright Citizenship is a good read for kids (and some adults) who want a clear understanding of this facet of the immigration controversy.
On a purrrsonal note, classes start next week and I am so not ready.  This semester I have the academic component of my internship.  It's asynchronous which I hate with a passion.  It's worse than zoom.  At least with zoom you see people on your laptop.  With asynchronous it's like you're in a solo space ship orbiting your professor.  Also there are about a gazillion assignments, most of them requiring computer skills I don't have.  To make things worse I still have this kidney stone and stent after almost four months with no clue when they'll be removed.  I'm afraid the stent will stop working and I'll end up in the hospital and flunk the class after putting 277 hours (52 more than required) into the work component of my internship.
Plus once again it will be a challenge to balance all the facets of my life when commuting alone takes up 10-12 hours a week. (Jules)
Being a human sounds exhausting.  So glad I'm a cat. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to the other students getting ready for fall semester.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment