Friday, August 5, 2022

Broken Faith

Adult nonfiction 
"Word of Faith Fellowship was braced for the worst demonic attack in all its history.  Satan was able to topple their church, Jane Whaley warned, and it was time for all believers to hunker down, pray louder than before, and, most important of all, turn off the televisions."
     Jane Whaley didn't disclose details.  She didn't have to.  Her followers believed that Jane was a prophet, and that asking questions meant disloyalty or lack of faith.
     Broken Faith is the meticulously researched story of Word of Faith Fellowship, a powerful cult in which:
*Followers were isolated from former contacts, including family, and indoctrinated into a terrifying world of paranoia;
*Even young children were beaten or otherwise abused for minor missteps;
*Whaley's friends in high places made it virtually impossible to have even felonies, such as hate crimes, investigated;
*Every facet of congregants' lives were controlled.  Whaley decided not only whom they could marry, but when they could have sex;
and *Trying to escape could unleash hell on earth.
     It's also the story of a family during the decades between which a pair of new parents were welcomed into the fold and when they realized they were losing everything they valued, especially their beloved children.
     It's a narrative that combines the fast paced tension of a thriller with an intimate and engaging story.
     Broken Faith is also a cautionary tale for our times.  Not all cults involve religion.  Some religious organizations exploit the very same dynamics.
On a purrrsonal note, my Upward Bound internship was totally life changing.  I know the exact moment my epiphany occurred.  I'd gone in believing that my highest goal after getting my masters was to go on for my PhD.  It was the second Wednesday night not counting staff orientation.  We'd just completed a small groups outdoor book discussion.  The students were stretching and chatting with friends, about to return to the dorm.  Watching them, I suddenly realized that instead of isolating myself in academia I want to spend the rest of my life working with Upward Bound, enabling motivated and talented teens to achieve their potential while realizing that at every step along the way they are enough.  My masters will be my terminal degree. (Jules)
I totally approve that decision.  More time quality human/cat time.  You know.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to the amazing Upward Bound students who totally changed our life trajectory.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 
     



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment