Thursday, May 19, 2022

One Turtle's Last Straw

One Turtle's Last Straw

Juvenile nonfiction
"The boy sucks up the last drops of drink through his straw.
After one more satisfied slurp, he tosses the cup in the trash."
It's something nearly all of us do. Our soda or shake comes
with a plastic straw. Or else there's a convenient dispenser on a
counter. After we enjoy the beverage we toss cup and straw in the
trash. Out of sight, out of mind.
In One Turtle's Last Straw Elisa Boxer tells young readers to
take a real look at this harmful practice. It connects one boy's
quotidian action with pain and suffering on the part of a sentient
creature--a sea turtle.
The book was based on a video of a sea turtle rescue that's gone
viral--over 150 million views. A Marine Conservation Biologist tells
young readers:
"You can be a part of the solution and help protect our friends
in the ocean. The next time you think about using a single-use
plastic product, ask yourself, 'Is this really necessary?'"
There is a plethora of resources listed for curious kids who
want to learn more.
On a purrrsonal note, Tuesday was my visit to the urologist.
Everything is looking good. The antibiotic wiped out the infection
without killing me with lethal side effects. The stent is doing its
job. September 1 I'll have an operation that will exorcise the
stone. Full recovery is predicted. I'm getting better. I'll be glad
when I can get through a night without having to pee four or so
times. It's like having a baby. I am seriously tired. (Jules)
Full recovery!!! YASSS!!! (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to my friends Abby and Emily who
provided transportation.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment