Friday, May 27, 2022

Lexapros And Cons

Lexapros And Cons

YA fiction
"...What I do are not 'routines.' They're compulsions. You know
when you read something and you're just like, Fuck, that's me! Well
once I read this thing, I knew I had it.
My name is Chuck. I'm seventeen years old. And according to
Wikipedia, I have OCD."
Chuck, narrator of Aaron Karu's Lexapros And Cons, has a life
that is ruled by compulsions. He's constantly washing real or
imaginary dirt off his hands. He has to pee over a dozen times before
he can consider his bladder drained enough for him to go to sleep.
He's sure that his house will go up in flames, killing his family, if
he doesn't keep checking the stove burners...
Chuck knows that these compulsions aren't normal. He's sure he
knows what he has. But seeing a therapist, getting an official
diagnosis, and taking medications are way out of his comfort zone.
Plus Chuck likes a new girl in school. He's tutoring her and
thinks he might actually have a chance of being more than just
friends. Of course she can never guess his secret.
On a purrrsonal note, Wednesday they had the annual Orono Public
Library volunteer appreciation event. I was too tired after working
Clean Sweep clean up all day to show up. But today when I stopped by
the library I received my volunteer appreciation gift. I was over the
moon. It's a bookmark and pen set. The bookmark was handcrafted in
Maine. Talk about purrrfect! (Jules)
Talk about purrrfect, I deposited $78.92 in my credit union savings
account. And, thanks to Clean Sweep, I now has a new bank for all my
change. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to my fellow library volunteers and the
librarians who really know how to show appreciation.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment