Sunday, April 10, 2022

Dream Hoarders

Dream Hoarders

Adult nonfiction
"Americans in the top fifth of the income distribution--broadly
with incomes above the $112,000 mark--are separating from the rest.
This separation is economic, visible in bank balances and salaries.
But it can also be seen in education, family structure, health and
longevity, even in civic and community life. The economic gap is just
the most vivid sign of a deepening class divide.
From its inception as a nation where all men (notice the word
men) were considered to be equal (except for the Blacks who were being
enslaved and the indigenous peoples who were experiencing genocide and
land theft) America has seen itself and been seen as a classless
society. A land of opportunity. A place where any little boy (notice
the word boy) could grow up to be president.
Um really? Even before the pandemic struck we had more economic
inequality, more of a gulf between the obscenely wealthy and those
lacking the basics than at any other time in our nation's history
except right before the Great Depression. And, as Richard V. Reeves
points out in Dream Hoarders, this inequity permeates every aspect of
life.
The Occupy movement protested this, drawing a line between the
top one percent and the rest of us. Reeves says the line has to go
between the top twenty percent and the rest of us. Looking just at the
top one percent lets a lot of the wealthy off the hook. In fact the
top twenty percent have been pulling away from the rest of us.
In addition to pulling away from the rest of us they're burning
the bridges. This goes way beyond the advantages wealthy parents can
give their children such as better schools and enrichment activities.
Reeves describes a number of ways they hoard opportunities such as:
*exclusionary zoning
*college legacy admissions
*the role of connections in internships.
He also discusses a number of ideas for solving this major challenge.
When even a member of the problem class, one who actually still
believes that capitalism is the best possible means of resource
allocation, can see this inequality we are in a world of trouble...
...which is why I suggest you read the book.
On a purrrsonal note, this has been such a fun weekend!!!
Saturday I made a Goodwill run. I found a beautiful two piece (jacket
and ski pants) outfit that will protect against even really bad wind
chills. It was kids' size 14 so I tried it on. Perfect fit! Then I
found fuzzy one piece Grumpy Cat Christmas pajamas. With my members
discount I paid only $15. When I was at the bus stop putting the
jacket in my reusable bag I heard something crinkle. There was $20 in
an inside pocket. When I got home it was sunny enough to write
outside and hang out laundry. To learn about the fun I had today
you'll just have to read my next review. (Jules)
And she gave me that found $20 for my emergency fund credit union
account. Good investment. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to people who donate good stuff to
thrift shops instead of just throwing it out.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment