Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Bring On The Board Books

Bring On The Board Books

Board books
On the bus home yesterday I was realizing that, although I
review plenty of juvenile, YA, and adult volumes, I really neglect the
board books: those sturdy volumes that constitute most of our
children's earliest literary encounters. I thought, yeah, I need to
review more of those. But I won't get to go to the library for more
than picking up and dropping off inter library loans until probably
winter break which is still over a month off...
...Then I saw a package on my porch. It contained two of the
most colorful and engaging board books I've ever seen. And each has an
important message.
Diane Adams and Charlene Chua's Football Baby is a celebration
of family fun. The family lines up on both sides of a toilet paper
line. All generations and genders are included. Sis is quite the
little athlete. A tickle fight ensues when Grandpa steals the ball.
Halftime features homemade cookies and cider.
The adventure happens literally in the family's back yard.
There is no fancy, pricey equipment. Refreshments are from the
kitchen. And the ubiquitous electronic devices are nowhere to be
found. Parents and grandparents aren't distracted by social media.
The focus is on family fun, not Instagram worthiness. You gotta love
that!!!
Marika Tamura's Penguins Don't Wear Sweaters combines an
engaging narrative with an important environmental lesson. The first
part of the book features happy penguins engaging in their activities
of daily life. Then suddenly there's a nasty black substance coating
the surface of the ocean. It gunks up the penguins' feathers, making
them unable to swim or obtain food.
Luckily the "Big Boots" arrive and know what to do.
Daniel Riley's vibrant illustrations will engage both children
and the parents who read to them. They are oh so cute. And their
little faces are quite expressive.
The book triggered memories of reading something about this in
the news awhile back. I googled and discovered my memory was spot
on. Knitters do make little sweaters for penguins caught in human
caused oil spills, keeping them warm and preventing from ingesting the
toxic substance coating their feathers. As soon as the penguins can
be washed the sweaters are removed.
More than 100,000 penguin sweaters (also called jumpers) have been
created.
With the holiday season amost here (Yikes!) either of these fine
books would be great for gifting. My kids are grown up with no
procreation plans. But my advisor has a toddler.
On a purrrsonal note: Do you ever have good news that goes all the
way to transcendent? News that not only alleviates concerns, but
carries worlds of possibility? That was my experience yesterday. An
internship is a requirement in my program. I have enough credits to
do mine. But I had a real concern. If I had to do it during a school
semester I'd have to drop out of dining that semester because there
wouldn't be enough daytime week hours for both. Not only would that
leave me more precarious on tuition funds, it would be a loss for the
short staffed dining team. If I could score an internship with the
Upward Bound summer program I could work spring semester. It also
would be my internship of choice because I really want to work with
first gens (students who are the first in their families to go beyond
high school). Yesterday I received an email assuring me we can work
it out!!! Luckily it was the one week day I didn't have a shift. It
was also an unusually sunny day. I said party on! Pandemic safe
party on that is. I made a Goodwill run, scoring a cat shirt and a
cat nightshirt for my wardrobe. I stopped at Hannaford to get a pint
of cherry Garcia. At home I sat outside reading and eating all the
ice cream. Good times!!! (Jules)
I say party on since it includes cat treats for the faithful family
feline. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to penguin protecting people.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment