Friday, November 5, 2021

A Thing Called Snow

A Thing Called Snow

Picture book
Well, we've stashed the Halloween costumes and decorations and
are heading toward Thanksgiving with retailers going all out to get us
in the mood for holiday shopping. In Maine we know what that means.
Pretty soon we'll be swapping out the lawn mowers and leaf blowers for
shovels and plows.
For those of us well into adulthood anticipation of the white
stuff can fill us with somewhat less than joy. Plenty of people I
know envision chores like digging out the car or truck for the commute
to work. Even I sometimes entertain grinchy feelings at the thought
of walking the mile down busy Route 2 to catch my bus to campus, a
downright scary prospect when visibility is low. When I catch myself
in that kind of funk I think back to my children's early years.
To our youngest kids just starting out in the world the first
snows of the year evoke joy and wonder. And a curiosity that is
beautifully reflected in Yuval Zommer's A Thing Called Snow.
Best friends Fox and Hare were both spring babies. Heading into
their first autumn they hear that snow is coming. Having no idea what
it is they set off to find out. Each animal chum they encounter has a
different description. Confused and tired as darkness falls they fall
asleep...
...and wake up to magic the next morning.
For parents and grandparents we're talking about a seasonal gift
that can become a treasured part of a child's or family's library
rather than breaking or running out of batteries.
Adults probably need its refreshing perspective as much as
children. Sharing it and seeing the wonder and joy it evokes can make
the white stuff less of a chore and more of a blessing--especially if
paired with seasonal activities like sledding, snow sculpture, or
crafting paper snowflakes.
My kids are grown and less fans of winter precip than I am. But
my next door neighbor has a sweet, enthusiastic daughter.
On a purrrsonal note, we're coming up on another weekend. Here at
UMaine it's a significant milestone. We're 2/3 of the way through the
semester. It looks increasingly like we'll be able to stay on campus
til winter break. We haven't yet seen any white stuff apart from the
frost that adorns the grass in the mornings. But I imagine we'll see
at least a little before the end of the semester. I am very happy
Eugene is back to working days. Most of the week we were like ships
passing on the ocean because he was leaving the house shortly after I
got home and coming home while I was on campus. I hope you have
something fun planned for the weekend. (Jules)
The birdies are going bye bye. They do this every time it starts
getting cold. Where does they go? That is a mystery. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to Eugene.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment