Thursday, November 4, 2021

Born On The Water

Born On The Water

Picture book extraordinaire
"Our hope for Born on the Water is to show that Black Americans
have their own proud origin story, one that did not begin in slavery,
in struggle, and in strife but that bridges the gap between Africa and
the United States of America. We begin this book with the rich
cultures of West Africa and then weave the tale of how after the
Middle Passage, Black Americans created a new people here on this
land. We see these verses as snapshots of the Black American
experience..."
The above quote comes from Nicole Hannah-Jones and Renee
Watson's authors' notes for their Born on the Water. I love the story
of how it came into being. Back when The 1619 Project was coming out
in The New York Times magazine parents began requesting a children's
version they could share with their young sons and daughters. The
result, illustrated with Nikkolas Smith's vibrant paintings, is
nothing less than breathtaking. Out of all the picture books I've
reviewed so far this year, if I could choose one to put into the hands
of every young child this would be it.
A girl despairs when she gets a school assignment to trace her
roots. Unlike the other kids in her class she can't count back many
generations. Fortunately she has a proud, confident grandmother who
gathers the family together and fills them in on their heritage.
The beginning of the book is a celebration of the cultural
richness of West Africa: the language, the skills used in conducting
daily life, the joy of dance, the knowledge, and the curiosity and
openness with which they met the white people.
The arrival of those white people is the segue into heartbreak.
They kidnapped these beautiful, skilled, joyous people from their
homes, their families, and communities--from all they held dear.
Almost half the kidnapped people died on that terrible middle passage
to the new world. Those who arrived were sold like cattle. They and
their descendents were treated horribly.
But hope and agency weren't tormented out of these kidnapped
people.
"We are in a strange land, they said.
But we are here and we will make this home.
We have our songs, our recipes, our know-how...
We will survive because we have each other."
Picture books have come a long way since the prim and prissy
(and very white centered) volumes of my youth. Talented authors and
illustrators are making topics many adults can't deal with come
vibrantly alive for our youngest readers. They also are envisioning
children as future change makers rather than passive recipients of
knowledge. Watson said, "I hope the young people reading this book
become citizens of the world who are critical thinkers and empathic
change makers. I think there's something powerful about a child
understanding the world they've inherited and asking them to dream of
the world they want to live in."
I can't imagine anything more powerful or necessary.
On a purrrsonal note, Tuesday I wore two of my new bracelets to
school. I know it might seem trifling. But to me it wasn't. Back
when my kids were still to home there was this fad. Stores sold
expensive beautiful beads and the metal circles to put them on. I
admired, probably even coveted them. But I wasn't about to spend so
much on trifles. I said what I did about most fancies: someday I'll
find one at a yard sale or thrift shop. Last summer I found four
lovely bracelets at a yard sale. When I went on campus everyone
noticed and was admiring them. They could hardly believe I paid $1
for each bracelet. Good things come to those who wait. (Jules)
That dog from the other street is wearing sweaters. Sweaters! Does
he have any dignity? Clothes are for hoomans. I'z heard some hoomans
put their cats and dogs in costumes for Halloween. My hoomans know
better! (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to writers and illustrators who
encourage children to grasp and engage with the world we were all born
into.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway







Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment