Friday, July 23, 2021

Two On Antiracism

Two On Antiracism

Young Adult nonfiction
It's getting to that part of the summer when for many of the
younger people in our lives things to do can run out before vaca
does. It's the perfect time for Tiffany Jewell's This Book Is Anti-
Racist. Jewell's intimate conversational tone and Aurelia Durand's
vibrant, dynamic illustrations will make this book simply irresistible
to many members of its target demographic.
"This is the book I wish I'd had when I was younger. And it's
the book I will share with my own children. It contains information I
never learned when I was younger and you will probably not be taught
in school."
The book is a clarion call to action, to the dismantling of the
system of privilege and oppression known as racism. Jewell reminds
readers that it's not enough to be nonracist, if there even is such a
thing. Nothing less that anti-racism will dismantle the system. She
assures them that they are not too young to make a real difference.
Jewell intertwines a lot of important information with a path to
self development. It's an active path that includes really insightful
writing activities. Readers start with "understanding and growing
into" (don't you just love that phrasing?) their identities including
their racial identities. Then there's a stepping out into the larger
world, seeing their places in a history that goes beyond that of their
families. Finally there is discussion of ways to create a moving
forward path in which a number of methods of taking action are
discussed and readers are urged to develop and utelize their super
powers.
Wow! That's a book I wish had been around not only in my teens,
but in my children's.
One problem. Many of the younger people in the book's target
demographic will also be in those developmentally necessary years
where Mom's or Dad's suggestions may be uncool. You may have to get
creative. My method of choice when my kids were teens was to leave a
book out with a bookmark in it. Those books would disappear.
Sometimes one of the kids would tell me about one.
I think it would be a great choice for two generation book clubs
and for youth group explorations.
And I also think it has merit for people beyond its target
demographic. We tend to forget that a lot of very intelligent people
get out of high school with reading levels and experiences that
mitigate against the concept of pleasure reading. And even people
like me who spend a lot of time on grad school textbooks get tired of
endless blocks of text only.
Cognitive psychologists tell us that text and pictures stimulate
different brain centers, giving a richer grasp of what we read. And
that's a bad thing?
Of all the antiracism books I've read in the service of my blog
this book and the one I'm about to review below are my favorites. I
read actively and did the journelling. I especially loved the
question calling for my vision of justice.
I wonder if Jewell realizes that at going on seventy there is
still a need to read, learn, journal, live in solidarity, and
constantly hone those super powers.
Mine, BTW, include reading, writing, speaking up, listening,
community building, crafting, and being a drag king.

Ibram X. Kendi's Antiracist Baby should be included in the gift
bags hospitals give new mothers. In lively rhyming verses it reminds
us all that racism is taught, not innate.
A rainbow of charming infants convey a number of important
concepts. Antiracist infants:
*learn the words for all skin colors because color-blindness is
another way for denial;
*know that inequitable policies are the root of problems;
*celebrate differences;
And do so much more.
Meant as a read aloud, Antiracist Baby provides an avenue for
parents and older siblings to intentionally plan ways to initiate a
precious new arrival into an antiracist life. If you need to get a
shower gift for a friend or family member, skip the rattle or onesie--
gift the book.
On a purrrsonal note, I was feeling a little stressed so I decided on
a therapeutic Goodwill run. I ended up feeling a lot more relaxed and
paying only $6 for a pair of really cute cat pajamas, fuzzy gloves,
and a tantalizing looking mystery which I'll probs review here. I
hope you have a good weekend planned. As usual, I have no idea what
I'll be up to. (Jules)
Looks like rain on Sunday. Maybe we'll go to zoom church. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to all the workers who make Goodwill
shopping a real treasure hunt.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment