Monday, July 12, 2021

The Truths We Hold

The Truths We Hold

Adult herstory
Kamala Harris is now vice president. She's just a heartbeat
away from this nation's highest office. In fact if anything happens
to Joe Biden she'll occupy it. So it seems to me that anyone with an
interest in the direction our nation is going and can go in would find
her memoir, The Truths We Hold, to be a must read.
We're in luck. The book is lucid, cogent, thought provoking,
inspiring, and beautifully organized. Chapters are organized around
the nation's most critical and often most divisive issues. Stages in
her life are addressed in relation to them. For example,
*Her mother's struggle with cancer centers a chapter on problems with
the American health care system;
*the chapter on her election to district attorney illuminates serious
problems with the criminal justice system;
and *letters from her constituents anchor a discussion on how much of
America's population is being left increasingly economically precarious.
Bryan Stevenson once said, "Each of us is more than the worst
thing we've ever done." I believe that Harris would say that America
is more than the sum of our systemic injustices. In other words, our
evils are very consequential, but not insurmountable. If enough of us
act boldly we can change things for the better."
Many thinkers over the ages have realized that evil requires the
silence of good people.
So please read this book and let it inspire you to speak up and
make some good and necessary trouble or continue doing so.
Harris' life story from immigrants' daughter to holder of this
nation's second highest office is fascinating and engaging. Plus she
shares a wealth of photographs.
On a purrrsonal note, I had an AMAZING weekend. Friday night I was
sitting in by unicorn beanbag chair in my studio reading. A car
pulled up and Tobago dashed down the hall. We weren't expecting
anyone. It turned out to be my Adam!!! He, Eugene, and I had a
lovely visit. It totally made my week. I'd been missing him SO
MUCH! Saturday morning Eugene said he was going to drive around and
maybe end up at camp. I threw a backpack together in less than ten
minutes. We stopped at some yard sales and a place that calls itself
a thrift shop but is actually an antique store. To me thrift shops
are where you can get stuff you need cheap. Think Goodwill or
Salvation Army. This place is antiques. How many of you need a wind
up Victrola that doesn't work or a nonelectric iron you heat on the
stove?I was amazed to find a pair of very sparkly street worthy
sneakers my size. Eugene got them for me. We got to camp about
midday. I read on the porch. Eugene cooked burgers for supper. We
watched a movie that left me profoundly grateful that I didn't go to
high school in the 1950s. Sunday morning we took a winding route
home. At one point we were in a place with yard sales all over.
Suddenly I recalled hearing about Orrington's town wide yard sale on
TV news Friday and wishing I could go. It turned out we were in
Orrington. I didn't miss out. Eugene cooked hot dogs on his grill
that night so again I didn't have to cook.
Totally awesome weekend! (Jules)
I saw Adam! I SAW ADAM!!! He's my buddy. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to our Adam and Eugene who are simply
the best and the fine yard sale holders of Orrington.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment