Monday, February 15, 2021

The Black Friend: On Being A Better White Person

The Black Friend: On Being A Better White Person

YA/adult antiracism MUST READ
"While many believe there is no way to change the problem
[racism] because they believe there is no way to change white people,
I disagree. Because after sitting with and talking to many white
people throughout my life, I've come to realize that there are white
people who do care and who I do believe want to make change. But
these same white people often don't understand the negative impact
they are having or how to be better, because many of them have never
had the conversations necessary to know this stuff, either in the
classroom or outside of it."
Frederick Joseph, author of The Black Friend: On Being A Better
White Person, wears many hats as a marketing professional,
philanthropist, writer and activist. He's also a man who had to
endure the traumas, suspicions, and microaggressions of growing up
Black in America. And he's the loving brother of a little guy he
wants so much better for. He believes any kind of better world has to
involve whites wising up and becoming accomplices (rather than
allies). He also believes that many (although far from all) of us are
capable of doing so. That's why he wrote the book.
The Black Friend is pegged as YA. It is perfect for its target
demographic. But it's also a good read for people well beyond. Many
adults, even well meaning ones, haven't had access to this important
material. It's an excellent introduction to antiracism literature for
people from teens to those who have reached three digits, middle
schoolers to great grandparents of middle schoolers.
Each chapter covers a certain aspect of racism succinctly and in
depth. Joseph's personal experiences are beautifully combined with
background info.
*"We Want You To See Race" shatters the myth of colorblindness and
shows its devastating consequences.
"I've come to realize that a fear of accountability is why white
people say things like 'I don't see color' and 'Why does everything
have to be about race?' Because to see my color, to see my culture, to
see my race, would also mean taking responsibility for how white
people have historically treated people my color, with my culture,
from my race."
*"This Isn't A Fad; This Is My Culture" discusses the total wrongness
of cultural appropriation.
"What makes a culture special is that it's not just yours; it
belongs to a community of people..."
*"In The End" explains why whites need to be accomplices, not just
allies.
"An accomplice is a person who actively participates in some way."
Those are only a few of the candid truths explored in the
volume. In addition to sharing his own thoughts, Joseph interviews
activists and artists like author Angie Thomas (word on the street
says she has a new book coming out. Woo hoo! Can't wait!) and
professor Jessie Daniels. There is also an encyclopedia of important
terms.
This is a good volume for individual reading or book group
discussion. It's a must acquire for school and public libraries.
On a purrrsonal note, I hope you had a good weekend. I certainly
did. Saturday Emily came over. She finally met Eugene. He was the
one who opened the door. She had my cookies from church and books.
It was so nice to see her. Sunday was Valentines Day. I opened
Emily's gift bag and found treasures like candy and dish towels. She
remembered I like dish towels. My sister-in-law had Eugene and me a
box of candy and a card. Eugene gave me beautiful flowers and a card
saying he loves me more than anyone else in the universe. Not just
the world, the universe. I was planning to go to church. But Eugene
wanted to go for a ride. So I played hooky. We got a drive through
Burger King breakfast and subs that worked for lunch and supper. I
didn't have to cook. :) (Jules)
I gave my hoomans love. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to our Eugene.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment