Friday, February 5, 2021

Amazons, Abolitionists, and Activists

Amazons, Abolitionists, and Activists

YA graphic Novel
Recall how impressed I was with Mikki Kendall's Hood Feminism?
When I learned that Kendall had penned a graphic novel (with
illustrations by A. D'Amico) history of feminism I put it on my must
read list.
Amazons, Abolitionists, and Activists: A Graphic History Of
Women's Fight For Their Rights covers a lot of ground. The tour
readers are led on by a futuristic looking narrator starts out
thousands of years ago and progresses to the present. The breadth of
material is impressive. This is a truly intersectional exploration,
encompassing race, class, gender, sexual orientation, and other
identities. Sheroes portrayed come from all over the globe in a
rainbow of ethnicities.
Because of the extensivenes of the material covered, a graphic
novel format is perfect. It avoids the choppiness you'd find in a
text only manuscript with so much content. Plus the art is truly
captivating.
Amazons, Abolitionists, and Activists makes for an exciting and
stimulating read through. But it can also be a springboard to in
depth research on an individual. There are so many sheroes, issues,
times, and places covered there is probably at least one interest
spark for each of us.
So I see this book as a must acquire for school and public
libraries.
On a purrrsonal note, well my big excitement today is learning that
people in my age group may get in on the vaccine distribution early in
March. I am so excited for it. Not the shot itself. I'm needle
phobic, even after donating ten gallons of blood. But what it can do
for me. Hopefully it means I can be on campus in September and start
to make more progress toward my degree. MLK advised people to run if
they can't fly, walk if they can't run, and crawl if they can't walk.
Mostly I'm glad to not be standing still.
But sometimes I get so tired of walking and impatient to fly.
I was feeling this impatience today when I heard a knock at my door.
My friend, Emily, had come by to drop off a valentine. Our church is
doing an awesome program of people sending handmade valentines to
other members. My heart jumped right up in my chest and kicked
impatience to the curb.
This morning I wanted to study stastics. I reminded myself I had a
Decolonizing UMaine meeting. I'd missed the last one by getting
caught up in ANOVA and losing track of time. I told myself just a few
minutes with correlations. Yeah, right. The next thing I knew Tobago
was meowing for lunch and I'd forgotten not only the meeting, but
showering, shaving, and breakfast. Oops I did it again! Emily says
other people have days like that. (Jules)
It is always great to see our friend, Emily. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to our friend, Emily, and the awesome
church we all belong to.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment