Friday, February 12, 2021

Plain Truth

Plain Truth

Adult mystery
"She knew what the baby wanted, needed, but she couldn't do it.
It would make this real.
So she gave the baby her pinkie finger instead. She let the
small, powerful jaws suckle, while she did what she had been taught to
do in times of extreme stress; what she had been doing for months
now. 'Lord', she prayed, 'please make this go away.'"
Katie, an Amish teen, has just given birth in a barn stall. The
baby had not been the result of immaculate conception or rape. And
the father was not her suitably Amish boyfriend. She'd been able to
conceal her pregnancy successfully. Now there is evidence she can't
hide. Her father has cut off all contact with her brother, Jacob, who
is considered an outsider because he chose to go to college. What
will happen to her when her sin is discovered?
Katie falls asleep. When she wakes up the baby and the scissors
she used to cut the umbilical cord are gone. Not long afterward the
barn is crawling with first responders. Levi, a farm hand, has
discovered the baby dead, wrapped in a shirt and hidden under horse
blankets. Katie is charged with murder.
"My nightmares were full of children. Specifically six little
girls--two dark haired, four fair, their knees sticking out beneath
the plaid uniform jumper of St. Ambrose's School, their hands twisted
in their laps. I watched them all grow up in an instant, you see; at
the very moment a jury foreman acquitted my client, the elementary
school principal who had molested them."
After her biggest career success as a defense attorney, one that
has caught the attention and interest of the most prestigious law firm
in Philadelphia, Ellie is in a far from celebratory mood. Winning the
case had involved suppressing evidence. The principal is not the only
sleeze she's gotten off the hook. She asks her lawyer boyfriend,
Stephen, "Do you ever look at the people sitting across the aisle at
the courtroom, the ones whose lives were ruined by a person you know
is guilty as hell?"
Following a very frightening car accident and Stephen's
reaction, Ellie is sure she's leaving. It's not, as he thinks, taking
time off before selecting another high profile case. She isn't sure
she wants to stay in that game, something he'd never understand. She
goes to Paradise, Pennsylvania to spend time with her beloved Aunt Leda.
You know the paths of these two very different women are going
to cross. Katie is related to Leda. Ellie ends up not only signing
on to be Katie's lawyer, but living in her devoutly Amish household.
While she's struggling to prepare her client for the English [non
Amish] court system and the truth twisting an acquittal will require,
she's learning a lot about her more communal life style which is a
sharp contrast to the Happy Bunny It's all about me life style Ellie
was raised in.
I almost read this book years ago. I'm so glad I waited.
Picoult was contrasting the American "justice" system with the Amish
justice process. For quite awhile I've been contrasting restorative
justice and punitive "justice" in terms of the dreadful consequences
of the latter for defendents and their families and communities.
Picoult blindsided me by adding a very important element, that of
intent, to my understanding. Speaking through Katie, she tells us:
"...But the English judged a person so that they'd be justified
in casting her out. The Amish judged a person so that they'd be
justified in welcoming her back. 'Where I'm from, if someone is
accused of sinning, it's not so that others can place blame. It's so
that the person can make amends and move on.'"
Can you imagine what America would be like if for all but the
cases in which the defendent poses real danger to us we focussed on
making amends and moving on rather than locking up and throwing away
the key?
If you want a story with a truly engaging plot and plenty of
food for thought you'll find Plain Truth to be a must read.
On a purrrsonal note, this has been an interesting week.
Meteorologically it's been a bit too cold for my taste. I've
completed my first assignment for statistics. Now I have to figure
out how to submit it by computer. I only have til March before it's
due. The high point of my week was Adam's visit on his way home from
campus. He didn't want baked goods (nutrition) so I gave him my
prettiest apples. I am mom after all. I also enjoyed a zoom choir
get together.
With Valentines Day coming up I have mixed feelings. I've already
been getting cards. My friend Emily gave me a bag of goodies which
I'll open Sunday. I know Eugene will go all out. What I'll really
miss is the giving part. Normally I'd have gifts for the kids and
Eugene and hand out a lot of paper valentines. This year my cards
will be email and homemade ones and I won't have treats for family.
At least I baked 2 loaves of banana bread for our swamped with demands
counseling center crew and got peeps to deliver. I just hope next
year I'll be able to shop and spread the love in person. (Jules)
What is this with hoomans and one day to spread love? Cats know every
day iz valentines day. (Tobago)
A great big shout out to you, our readers. May you have a very
special Sunday!
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment