Thursday, July 30, 2020

YES! (magazine)

YES! (magazine)

"We want to hear from you. What has to happen to go beyond the
slogan and ensure that Black lives really matter? Add your response
to the prompt in the comments. We will publish some in our upcoming
'Black Lives Matter' issue."
Before this pandemic changed our lives so drastically one of the
things I loved about Friday was the email arrival of the YES!
electronic newsletter. There were cutting edge articles on a wide
range of issues of crucial importance, such as climate change,
poverty, and racism, put out by a group of vibrant writers. The
pieces were thrillingly intersectional. Of course you can't have
climate justice without racial justice. There were also seeds of hope
stories. There was always at least one article that inspired me or
made me see an event or challenge through new eyes.
Then the pandemic happened and YES! became even more generous.
Their pieces come into my email on a daily basis.
But the writers and editors don't want the communication to be
one sided. Recently they decided to change an issue's focus to Black
Lives Matter because of the renewed urgency of the issue. They listed
the above quoted invitation and shared some of the great answers they
received.
Quality cutting-edge journalism doesn't come cheap. If you can
afford to, subscribe to this fine print quarterly. If you want to do
a real mitzvah, bankroll a subscription for your local library. A lot
of people will be grateful.
On a purrrsonal note, yesterday was my 31st wedding anniversary. I
made a really nice supper: barbeque pork chops, mashed potatoes, and
corn on the cob topped off with apple pie. Since I had no way to get
to the store I'd made Eugene's gift: a scrapbook of some of his
favorite photos (which I will add to). He gave me a homemade card and
money. Hello textbooks! He had wanted to take me to a dine in
restaurant. I just said there is no way I'd feel comfortable eating
in a restaurant with air conditioning to blow any coronaviruses
around. It will take a long time or a vaccine for me to trust indoor
restaurant dining.
Every anniversary amazes me. It means we're still together. My
parents' marriage was a cautionary tale--about as much of endorsement
for matrimony as Freddy Kreuger is for moving to Elm Street. Happily
for a long term after was not something I saw in my future. (Jules)
That is good. I do not want a divorce in my family. I need both my
hoomans. (Tobago).
A great big shout out goes out to Eugene.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment